Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Water light coming on

Replaced the oil recently and im now getting a flashing water light for some reason.

Checked the water level and its fine overfilled it a bit even to rule out any low levels.

It could be an air lock as the car has been sitting up 2 weeks but after burping it a couple of times when hot the light still comes on.

Its coming on about 2 mins after startup and stays on flashing. I’m tempted to drive on with it but is a bit concerning having a flashing light on the dash when driving.

Any ideas?

I have this on my golf. The water light flashes some days, some days it doesn't. The water level is always fine. I keep an eye on the temp and that is always fine. Can't really be bothered to sort it out.

Sorry to hijack this thread but funnily enough this problem started on my rado this weekend.

From reading posts on here it seems that the sensor in the header trank cant be replaced (correct me if i'm wrong) so think the header tank will need to be replaced. £14.50 from GSF or £7.88 from ECP,isnt too bad but seeing as cymru-corrado has said GSF ones have dodgy sensors may have to go to the stealers.

Anyone know how much they are from VAG? Anyone have any experience of the ECP ones or are they the same as GSF?

Its not alien for VAG ones to die either.. the one on my mates 3 year old Golf anniversary suffered the same fate.. and that had only done about 40k!

Just random readings warning about lack of coolant, etc despite a nice full expansion tank. Just got a new one in the end from VAG. Fairly sure they're not much more than they are from GSF/ECP...

Is there any way of testing the sensor? Id rather be sure it’s the problem before going to the trouble of replacing the fluid and getting a new bottle.