Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Best Engine oil for G60?

Its done 83k miles and has stage 4 charger - I'm thinking either VAG full synthetic, Castrol Magnatec full synthetic, or semi-synthetic?

Whats the grade require/recommended for this engine, i.e 10/40w?

cheers for any help,

Use Qantum synta gold if the engine doesnt burn oil currently and is in all round good condition - if its getting on a bit drop to semi synthetic

Its made by castrol for vw and is 21.75 plus vat for gold and 10.75 for silver both plus vat from german and swedish

DON'T use castrol magnatec.I put this in at my last oil change in may and after some "vigorous" driving,it gets very thin and the oil light tends to come on-Especially after going round a bend where all the oil in the pan tends to follow the laws of gravity! :)

Just stick to the Quantum Silver Syntha, its good quality and the fully-synth is too thin and because its cheap you can change it more reguarly - I do about 6000 miles per year in mine and change it twice a year now (once with a filter), 4 or 4.5 litres with filter change which works out nicely as mine uses about a litre every 3k miles

Other synthetic oils can lead to oil pressure problems in the G60 and I have heard other problems like Shell Helix / Castrol GTX causing oil cooler failures. I did however put the Gold quantum in mine just after I got it and it was fine but had to keep topping up as my sump gasket was leaking, when I did the gasket just put the silver back in, I think the Gold leaked more noticably than before because its so thin. Also important to use the correct filter (037 115 561 - £5) as it has a smaller mesh to protect the charger.

DON'T use castrol magnatec.I put this in at my last oil change in may and after some "vigorous" driving,it gets very thin and the oil light tends to come on-Especially after going round a bend where all the oil in the pan tends to follow the laws of gravity! :)

Yup, dead right... Any oil that Porsche dealers have decided NOT to use anymore due to oil pressure problems isn't going anywhere near my engine... I used to run my 16V MKI Golf on magnatec and always thought that I may have had an oil pump problem... Since changing to Synta silver, it never had a problem again... :? :shock:

Cheer guys, I couldn't of asked for more!

Synta siliver it is then, I used that in my mk2, it's good stuff.

Yeah Quantum silver always gets my vote but who actually makes it though? I've heard either Shell or Mobil produce it, can't remember which.

I've noticed three things with Q silver over the years:-

1. Quieter tappets.

2. It stays sryup coloured longer.

3. Reduced oil consumption.

If you want a really good oil, try Mobil 1 15/50W motorsport. I used to use it on my 16V Turbo. Oil consumption was good and it didn't leak. Can't afford to use it on the VR6 though as it needs 6 litres of the stuff!

Kev

Had a chat with my VAG service dept, they told me my car was originally filled with the Quantum Fully synthetic Oil, so I said ta very much and went down to GSF to buy some :D

It didn't seem overly thin, so I'll just have to see how it goes, if it uses too much I'll return to the Quantum Semi-synthetic or GTX semi.... ?

Supercharged - I wasn't able to get hold of that VAG G60 filter you mentioned on saturday, so I got the equivalent MANN filter from GSF, which they assured me was definately the right one/equivalent to VAG.

I noticed the filter body had a hexagon boss on the end for easy removal. The VAG filter that I took off didn't(i.e mk2 golf type) nd was a pain to get off! Does it sound like the correct filter ?

thanks,

Yeah, like I said the fully synth seemed fine in mine but if you get the Oil light coming on at all I would go back to the silver

The filter sounds ok, It must just be there version of the VW one (the dealers normally have these in stock) - as you say the one that was on there sounds like a standard golf one.

BTW - the filter I have with the VW part number on it is made by MHO Germany

I would have thought the MANN one is made to the same spec tho...