Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Inner CV joint replacement

Hi, I've just replaced both inner and outer CV joints on the passenger side driveshaft on my 1.8 16v, and am having problems getting the circlip which holds the driveshaft in the CV joint to fit.

At the moment the spring washer fits on the driveshaft, concave side toward the joint, the joint slides over the splines, and the circlip should fit in the groove on the shaft with the joint held tightly between it and the spring washer, however, I can't press the joint down far enough for the circlip to properly seat in the groove. I've looked in the bentley manual and there is mention of a C section peice of tube to press the joint down far enough, but I can't see an easy way of doing it.

Anyone done this before and have any tips? or got any suggestions of how to press the joint on further, or do I have to make a peice of pipe up to fit?

I've knocked up a nice picture to look at too....

Cheers guys....

Anyone???

I've been thinking about clamping the driveshaft in a vice and using a pair of G clamps to pull the CV joint down and compress the spring washer enough for the circlip to fit in the groove.

Check that the CV is on the right way round because on one side there is chamfer that allows the clip to seat correctly. As for the piece of pipe to press it on just use a socket that the right size to fit over the end of the shaft to push it down. Hope this helps

Cheers jonny, The joint is the right way, I did wonder about that, but one side has a piece of jointing which should sit against the gearbox flange (I believe)

I've just been on the phone to a couple of people, and they reckon using a socket which fits on over the shaft, but presses on the circlip and hitting it hard with a hammer will do the trick.

Shit, i was gonna try this myself, but crapped out and am getting a garage to do it. You not making me feel any better Jonny5 !!