Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

'96 VR6 Throttle cable attachment(pedal end)

I've bought a new throttle cable assembly for my recently aquired VR6 8) but i've found that the old one has been bodged, it is held onto the acc. pedal 'fork' via a cable tie!

The new cable is the type that has a black plastic end piece, a purple ball & spring, and a small loosely fitted rubber bung at the end(which isn't present on the old one)

The problem is, I don't know how it is secured to the acc. fork, or where the rubber bung goes!

Can anyone remember how its secured, or would kindly take a pic? I've phoned the stealer but they can't make sense of it on Etka.

Cheers,

Andy

1996 VR6

Classic Green Pearl

Black Leather

Is the "rubber bung" not the grommet that slips into a hole in the bulkhead between the engine/wiper motor compartment and the interior of the car. If it slides freely along the cable it is the grommet.

Lift up the bonnet and look for where the accelerator cable goes from the engine compartment into the car to see what I mean.

I have just taken pic

Accel cable and grommet are above wrapped insulated wires.

As for other end at pedal - cant get pic as you have to remove plastic shelf/trim, but I found how to do it using search, as someone has written it up.

Ahh sorry I should of said it's not the oval shaped grommet for the bulkhead, its smaller & thicker.

I'll do the search again, i didn't really find any detail last time.

Cheers

There certainly is something, Andy T, I used it when I did my change.

Some of the steps are actually a bit knuckle scraping.

I suspect, but cannot be certain, the article was by our kevhaywire.

Are you sure it's the correct cable as there is an asterix next to the chassis change on ETKA - if the pedal has a hole in it then the cable should have a hook at the end...

Pretty sure as the dealer used my chassis no. to find the part number, and it looks the same as the old one.

The pedal bracket just has a Y-shaped fork on the end, it's hard to tell how the cable would be secured properly.

Why did they have to change things, what was wrong with the old hole & pin method!?!