Sign in to follow this  
just_say_meth

jumpy speedo needle

alright need some advice, my speedo has become abit erratic of late and after reding numerous search posts i think i need to replace a sensor on the gear box!?

The guy at vw parts reckons it's the distance sensor.

Can anyone shed any light on whether this is the right sensor to replace or not??

Cheers andy

yeah ive got the same problem as this, jumps about 10mph and back again, usually only happens at speed 60mph+, ive replaced the speedo unit with one from some other clocks so it must be the sensor, anyone help ?

Judging by the ages of your cars I assume you've both got electronic senders, you'll find them on the back of the gear box, on the diff casing, there'll be a connector that plugs into the sensor, pull this off and then it should unscrew from the casing, 22mm socket rings a bell, pretty easy to replace, well, easier than a cable anyway....

Hope that helps

Tom

If I get a chance I'll sift through my old receipts at the weekend (for the part number), as I had the exact same problem and replaced the speed sensor (the one on the gearbox) and it's been perfect since. Also as Toad says it's very simple to replace, and I'm sure it was only about £20 - £25.

Just had a thought about whether it would be the same part number as for mine, with mine being a 2.0 16v and yours a G60. However, I'll still take a look for the part number and post it up anyway.

Cheers guys,G60SC_Stoney- yeah usually occurs after about 60 but did it just going through town at 30 yesterday!

Is it the actual sensor that i need to replace or is it the connecting rod part that goes into the gear box?

Sounds stupid but just from looking at the screen at the parts department there is a few different bits at the gearbox!

OK, sorry I took so long in posting this up, but finally remembered last night and fished out the invoice from VW. The part number I have for the sensor is 191919149D and it cost me £16.86 + vat. This was probably about a year or so ago now, so prices might have changed.

mine does this sometimes when its raining, good to know where the sensor is. Will this also effect the RPM counter - is there a releated sensor for RPM or is this likely to be a connection behind the clocks

Let us know if it fixed the problem

right, problem stopped for a few days but coming back from edinburgh this afternoon it got worse!!

Speedo started going wild, racing right up to 160 then dropping back to 70, then dropping to 0 and staying there for a while then slowly creeping back to 70!

Will try vw 2moro morning with that part no.(cheers kerrinmay) and see how i get on! :confused4:

will post up if i have any luck!!

just a quick thought, what exactly causes the spoiler to raise/lower?! because the spoiler stays the same no matter what the speedo needle reads when fluxtuating but still raises and lowers properly!!

Is the spoiler speed sensor connected to the speedo gauge or gearbox sensor?! surely if it is then it too would fluxtuate with the speedo?

Well when my speedo was up and down, so was the spoiler! I dread to think what people driving behind me were thinking with the spoiler going up and down all the time as I drove up the A3 to work!! In addition to this the other problem I got was that sometimes when I slowed down around town to navigate around roundabouts and junctions etc, if I went to change gear and the revs dropped, they kept dropping all the way to zero until it cut out - it wouldn't idle. This again was intermittant like the jumping speedo, but I hadn't even thought that the two were related. However upon changing this sensor, both problems were fixed!

Think my spoiler was up on the motorway no matter what the speedo was doing!

To update, think the part is for all models(according to the dealers) and is currently on back order so have ordered one but don't know when i'll get it!!

Appreciate all the help guys, will let everyone know what the outcome is!

Right just to finish this off for future reference, replaced the distance/speedo sensor and problem has gone!

Cheers kerinmay good call mate :thumbleft:

Part no. was the same as above and i believe it's the same sensor for all models of corrado?! but don't quote me on that!!