Sign in to follow this  
laneontour

ABS - right front ABS inlet valve error

Hi, I'm new here so forgive me if this question has been asked before...

I have the ABS light on permanently. There is only one error code in the ECU - 00259 (right front ABS inlet valve - N99). VW said they will fit a new pump (1300+VAT for the part from them!) which is where the valve is. I spoke to another supplier and he said they are very reliable pumps and he thinks it could be a dodgy ECU. So my dilemma is which to buy!

Is there any way of narrowing down my options to one?!

Thanks,

Marcus

When was the fluid last changed?

It's worth borrowing an ECU from someone to test but the valves do seem to go if the fluid is not changed reguarly - It's worth speaking to Steve at C&R enterprises as they offer a service to refurbish them

You can buy ECUs on ebay regularly for £20 or so, worth trying as they're dead easy to swap too.

But usually the outlet valve fault means it the ABS pump unit.. They are a known weakness.

The good news is they, too, are easy and cheap to come by, since on the whole they are very reliable, and therefore there's piles of good ones in scrap yards around the country.

I'll have to check it and let you know.. asking £70 for it, came off a '92 G60

Cheap as chips (that's the last time I ever say that.. sorry! lol)

I've spoken to Steve at C&R and he was more than helpful - what a star! He's asked me to ask the moderators why he cannot log in any more to this forum - has been like it for 6 weeks!! Can anyone sort him out? I promised to try to help him...

interested in the pump - let me know the part number when you can. Thanks.

You can buy ECUs on ebay regularly for £20 or so, worth trying as they're dead easy to swap too.

But usually the outlet valve fault means it the ABS pump unit.. They are a known weakness.

The good news is they, too, are easy and cheap to come by, since on the whole they are very reliable, and therefore there's piles of good ones in scrap yards around the country.

Sorry for the delay but I forgot to put the final diagnosis on here. Steve at C&R hit the nail on the head so thanks so much to him. There is a fault on Corrados where water can leak into the body from the bottom passenger corner of the windscreen. It drips behind the glove box straight onto the ABS ECU. After some time, the PCB can corrode. I tried cleaning the PCB contacts but no joy. I bought one on ebay and fitted it, and this sorted the issue 100%. So it was not the pump or inlet valve as diagnosed by Caffyns VW in Hove - they wanted £1300 +VAT + labour from me which would have solved nothing. Their problem is that VW HQ confiscate all old maintenance manuals so that they are unable to easily fix old model VW's. It's a way to try to get people to buy newer models which I think is a pretty poor show. It means these dealer garages that you would assume know best, know very little.