Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

16V Oil leak WTF?

Having a problem with an oil leak, it looks to be coming from the left side of the head. I think it might be the oil cap, it’s the 3rd one on it and it appears to be worse than ever.

I got a new mrk iv cap last week cus my rocker cover was constantly getting messy from oil spitting out from the cap. It’s no longer spilling out onto the RC but it looks to be seeping out on the timing belt side now. I originally thought it was the small moon seal on the RC but after sealing that up with gasket seal it was still leaking.

I’ve had this problem a while now last month I replaced the oil sump gasket and sealed the new one back with a decent gasket seal. I also replaced the rocker cover gasket and all associated bits.

I also replaced a number of oil switches both on the oil cooler plate and at the back of the head. Its as bad as ever now leaving a mess wherever I park.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what might be the cause of this leak?

I have a small pool of oil on the left wishbone and there is a trail of fresh oil down my timing belt covers on the left side of the head. There is also evidence of oil on the cap and RC where the overrun switch is.

Cam cover seals are notorious for leaking on the 16v, the surfaces need to be very clean and oil free and the 10mm nuts not over tightened or the seals squeeze out, take the top timing cover off and have a look, could be a camshaft oil seal too. VAG or GSF cam cover seals don't seem to make any difference, they can all leak.

where’s the camshart oil seal? are they those half moon shaped seals?

Im sick of it at this stage, that’s the 3rd Cam cover seal set that’s gone onto it and its still leaking. I even used bonding on this one to seal around the edges once it was on- I was half tempted to bond the cap on also when I saw it leaking again

:brickwall:

Camshaft oil seal is behind the cam pully.

Wipe around the area as much as you can and after driving just check if there is a spray of oil coming from behind the pully,and in around the plastic cover.

Neil.

where’s the camshart oil seal? are they those half moon shaped seals?

Im sick of it at this stage, that’s the 3rd Cam cover seal set that’s gone onto it and its still leaking. I even used bonding on this one to seal around the edges once it was on

:brickwall:

the round one over the end of the exhaust cam where the cam belt pulley bolts on.

I'm just about to do my cam cover gasket again, must be about the 4th time :roll:

I know the thing you’re talking about now. I replaced this when I had the cams out not even a yr ago. Its the plastic ring shaped seal right? It does appear to be coming from that area tho.