Sign in to follow this  
balboa

engine speed sensor (cam)

....i have a mk2 golf with a 2.9 vr6 in.....cars not been runnin too well for past few weeks....as i start the car in mornin the revs shoot up past 2000 rpm and holds there for a few minutes before eventually getting back to normal, however when im driving the car she's not as quick as she should be and also doesnt sound exactly right....so anyways as advised put the car on diagnostics, it diagnosed the engine speed sender (cam) is faulty...just a few months ago i changed the crank and lamba sensors....my first question is if the engine speed sensor is faulty then would i experience the idling as the car is ticking over to shoot up to 1500 rpm then back to normal and the car cutting off problems when its idling....also ive called main dealers and the price for the speed sender is £150...or 110 for andy page...now reading on this post if its the same sensor saying the guy picked it up for £30-£40.....please shed some light on this matter....many thanks in advance.....!!!

Switch to full edit form

engine speed sensor always comes up when you check it on VAGCOM as you are checking it with the engine off...........the cam pos. sensor however is a different thing and thats the part that costs about £30..........what you do notice with that is........a loss of power sometimes as much as 30bhp..........

engine speed sensor always comes up when you check it on VAGCOM as you are checking it with the engine off...........

hi dude....soz if i sound a bit thick , but what is VAGCOM.....and the car was on when diagnostics was done...ta

VAG-COM = third party diagnostics software.

They quoted you on the wrong part. The crank sensor is the £130 one, the cam sensor is *definitely* around £40, even from the dealers.

By the way, as everyone above has said, you know you have a crank sensor problem when your car either stops when it's hot, and then won't restart for a few minutes, or it won't start at all. As also said above, THE ERROR IS ALWAYS THERE if the engine is not running - whether it's faulty or not. Anyone who buys a new crank sensor based on the "No Signal" error has been ROBBED BLIND...