Sign in to follow this  
just2zang

Converting a g60 to 1.8t. Best car to use?

My friend is thinking of buying a corrado with a sick engine and puting a 1.8t in. My thoughts are that a g60 would be his best bet to start off with as it already has the right flywheel, hydraulic clutch, gearbox, etc. All he would need to do is drop an engine in and sort the wiring/management. Not sure if g60´s use a vr6 hub setup, but they would be easily come by to use the audi tt caliper carrier and 312 disks. A set of porsche rims and he would have a very tasty car for little money.

What are your thoughts people?

G60 would be OK as would a VR6 but a VR6 gearbox won't bolt up so you would need a 4cyl 02A box or the donor car box. A VR6 will accept the 312 brakes and VR6's have ABS/EDL as well which is an advantage.

Late G60's have ABS / EDL as well tho', and G60 has the right h/box, clutch, flywheel, pedal-box so would be better and cheaper to start with one of these with a shagged engine.

Cheers

My Jan 1992 G60 has ABS / EDL and you right, it doesn't do much unless

Sell rest of the engine for £300-£400 and get base car costing you around £1000. Spend £1100 on the QPENG plug and play loom and managment plus downpipe etc and bout' £400 on other bits (intercooler and pipework etc.), £1000 for the 20VT lump getting you a 20VT K03s rado with 230+BHP for £3500 (if you stick engine in youself) or pay someone to drop it in and connect her up for another £750 ish. Max £4500 = game on ;-)

My train of thought was that a VR6 is five stud and can easily go to 312 front discs and there are more out there with dead engines, too many in fact!