Sign in to follow this  
8yourcivic

corrado or CRX

Ha, its funny. Since saying im selling my car on the CRX_UK forumm there all telling me how crap corrados are and how the SiR CRX can p*** all over the VR6...

You get that on all forums. I'm glad you're able to think for yourself and you're not narrow minded, opinionated and biased like so many immature in-duh-viduals that populate these car related forums!

Bang for buck at the moment, you can't beat Jap cars. Many 'old skool' german car scenes seem threatened by the current 'Rice' culture and do nothing but slate them. My mum has a 1.3 Corrolla (don't laugh) which she's had new from 1994. How many problems has she had with it? Zero.

Reliability VW can only dream of. Yes I know Corrollas are bland but where daily driver's are concerned, it's everything.

Not encountered a CRX on the open road but am aware of their reputation, so I'd probably leave it be.

It's all down to personal taste at the end of the day and I chose the Corrado because it has a good blend of performance, style and desirability. Yes there are numerous faster cars but I really don't care. Where on Britain's over crowded roads can you fully exploit a 1.0 Fiesta, let alone a CRX or VR6?

Kev

back in the 90's until the I-TR stole its unofficial title the C VR6 ws meant to be the best FWD car of ALL time..........not too sure about the prelude tbh

IIRC, the journos at the time were comparing the Corrado and Prelude 4WS from a rear wheel steering point of view. The Prelude's was active, the Corrado's passive. Both are excellent handlers but I think the Prelude was more civilised about it and therefore appealed to a wider audience.

Kev

Reliability VW can only dream of

is it bad then?? what should i know about the VR6 before spending my well earned on it?

Not encountered a CRX on the open road but am aware of their reputation, so I'd probably leave it be.

The CRX is deceptively quick.... i have left more modern "performance" cars standing before, and they dont look best pleased when i do!!

Id love a corrado though!!

Reliability VW can only dream of

is it bad then?? what should i know about the VR6 before spending my well earned on it?

They're not REALLY unreliable. It won't leave you stranded by the side of the road. There's just a few quirks that seem to afflict the Corrado and many other cars, come to that, of the same age. When/if you take the plunge, we'll reveal all but do browse the 'problems' forum to get some ideas in the mean time.

The CRX is deceptively quick.... i have left more modern "performance" cars standing before, and they dont look best pleased when i do!!

I've heard the VTEC is VERY rapid. But to be honest, I'm getting old now and I can't be doing with thrashing my cars to prove a point :wink:

[id love a corrado though!!

You would I'm sure. They are nice cars but total cost of ownership can be on the high side, so make sure you've got deep pockets!

Kev

When/if you take the plunge, we'll reveal all

there that bad you wont tell me now??

total cost of ownership can be on the high side

Whats the mpg you getting? what costs am i looking at do you think? i dont want to buy one and then have to get rid of it cause i cant afford it.

I'd appreciate some advice

there that bad you wont tell me now??

Nah, the VR lump is sound. Don't forget it was a very innovative engine in it's day but two side effects of such compact dimensions (it's not much bigger than a 4 cyl engine) are hot running and timing chain tensioner wear (no room for traditional cam belts). Apart from that, you may get the odd engine sensor die here and there and that's pretty much it.

Trust me, if you find a good one that's been well looked after, you won't regret it and it's a different power to the Honda. Much more relaxed and torquey but devastatingly quick if provoked and given enough room to stretch its tall geared legs.

Whats the mpg you getting? what costs am i looking at do you think? i dont want to buy one and then have to get rid of it cause i cant afford it.

Mid 30s if you cruise and take it easy, mid 20s if you give it death at every oppurtunity. For such a large engine, that's pretty good and you'll get around 400 miles from a tank if you're sensible.

Costs, just general maintanence really unless you plan on modding it. The rear axle bushes are a weak point so get those checked out before parting with any cash but they're usually OK up till 85-95K. Everything else is robust mechanically. The interiors could have been better and the sunroof is another Corrado achilles heel. Check it works in both tilt and slide mode before handing over the readies.

They can use a bit of oil too. Between 1/4 litre and 1 litre over a few thousand miles but you should be used to that with a VTEC :wink:

Overall, it is a reliable car and regular maintanence and attention will keep it that way.

Kev

bottom line.. if you're strapped for cash get a jap car. the corrado will end up costing you a fair bit more to run than some old jap run-around in the end, regardless of condition. like kevhaywire said... japcrap has reliability vw can only dream of. sad but true. too bad they have no class/torque!

Costs, just general maintanence really unless you plan on modding it

I know the current owner very well and i have helped him decided what wheels suspension etc etc. It has 17" Masitaly 5 spoke wheels. Koni coil over adjustable suspension and upgraded brakes and pads all round. so i wont need to spend money on mods..... which is nice.

the sunroof is another Corrado achilles heel. Check it works in both tilt and slide mode

He is in the process of having a new sunroof motor fitted.... is this what you were refering to... it also has a brand new starter motor and alternator belt.

He is in the process of having a new sunroof motor fitted.... is this what you were refering to... it also has a brand new starter motor and alternator belt.

That's ONE of the problems... :roll: The mechanism can become a little bit fragile and bits can snap off. Usually one of 3 (IIRC) parts snaps. The cable, part of the cable guide, or a lever inside the mechanism that pulls/locks the roof down properly... None are particularly expensive to fix, just most of them are a PITA to do... :?

And yes, I've had to do these fixes on my 'rado! :lol:

You've made the right choice :D 8) :twisted:

Think the difference is that a Corrado is a dedicated sports car, the CRX is more of a hot version of another model (a good 'un though!). A VR6 is a bit of a muscle car really.

You'll really notice the difference when you've got other people in the car, and also in 3rd gear at 80mph+ (on a private road of course!).

If your gonna keep it close to stock go with the corrado, but a crx with a b18c and and a t3/t4 turbo will kick a$$. corrado ,in my opinion looks alot better too.

i had a lovely crx v-tec it only had three owners before me it was a 91 in silver full lether a/c the works and with a custom k/n filter it could suck small kids off the side streets above 5500 but i only kept it for three months and bought another standard 1.816v c with no lether no a/c etc thats gotta tell you all need to know, good fun and could stick with g60s no probs but it's a honda and just does'nt do the same as a c for me... happy driving................

Hi,

If anyone requires advice on the CRX please feel free to get in touch as prior to having a Corrado G60 I had a CRX for 5 years. I was a member of the CRX owners club / forum too. The CRX SiR is the JDM model equivalent to the CRX VTEC. The CRX Si is the JDM / US version of the 1.6i-16V. The 1.6i-16V had 130 BHP and the VTEC had 150 BHP with the latter models, last few K reg having the 160BHP engine as also found in the newer VTi Civics and CRX Mk3 Del Sol's. See my comments in my prior post on the CRX, cheap to buy these days CRX's

Cheers

SCOTCORRADOG60

CRX????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

if you're serious then i say get the CRX, it suits you.

i have to completely agree with this reply!! LOL

i also knew that you had to be american before i even looked at the topic! no diss to you lot tho! :wink:

for the point of view of being 'stateside' the VDub has far more street cred and you can blow CRX, Preludes, Eclipse's away with your eyes closed.... i know cos i have raced a fare share and they all chickened out at 120 cos i would just tease them by letting them passed and sitting on their bumper till they gave in! i have also done the claimed 138mph while living in Dubai so i definately know that there was still more guts left!

its got to be Euro all the way and as VW USA say....... 'Drivers Wanted'

well i was driving home the other night minding my own, when a blue CRX came bombing up behind me then tried to undertake me. i naturally wasnt having that. i just closed the cap infront of my that he was hoping to fill. He had no chance of getting infront of me in that thing.

About a km down the road the inside lane open up, i just droped it and went for it, he was way behind me. i pulled back into the outside lane a lot further down the road, and the gap that i'd slipped through was now closed. All i saw in my mirror was him breaking becasue he couldn't get back in the outside lane lol. (undertaking is leagal in spain, Hell knows why)

Hey there, well let me tell me tell you my path to a Corrado....hope it helps. When they first came out.....I wanted one. Of course there was no chance back then, but the resemblence to the Mk1 Scirocco was just uncanny.....(did have one of them!) ....perfect in my mind! As time went by.....I still wanted one... Remember when I saw my first VR6, my first Storm......just had to have one. Along the way I was tempted by more practical cars....(??)...such as a Vectra GSI, BMW 328Ci, BMW 330Ci......but always had a niggle in my head.... Eventually sold the 330 to get what I have now.....a '95 Classic Green Storm with 70K on the clock in excellent nick.....best decison I ever made.....I LOVE IT!!! It has foibles for sure and has cost me a bit to get it totally sorted .....and am going to have the chain and tensioners replaced at Stealth.....but the reasons I stick with it are these... It's cool, it's in a class of it's own, they are not run-of -the-mill, it looks plain gorgeous, it goes like stink, it corners like it's on rails, it sounds heavenly, hasn't got traction control, and best of all.....I smile when I'm driving it! :lol: