Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

rad has gone - fixed

also - did i do wrong by just letting the coolant out and changing the rad and filing her up again - did i miss something? lol

also - did i do wrong by just letting the coolant out and changing the rad and filing her up again - did i miss something? lol

i fink you bust de switch.

It's a three pin thermostatic switch that runs your fan at two speeds depending on how hot the coolant gets, it's advisable to get a new fibre washer from VAG when switching them over from one rad to another or it will leak.

Nothing wrong with the way you filled the coolant up but it's best to leave the top hose loose and keep squeezing the air out of it. the full system takes over 6 litres of water and anti-freeze but as long as you get about 5 in you can then just keep topping up the header tank after a few runs, sometimes it takes a while to get all the air out.

fan never comes on anyway lol but how much is a new swich? and also were do i get it ( you shure i broke it?)

thanks for ythe help btw

fan never comes on anyway lol but how much is a new swich? and also were do i get it ( you shure i broke it?)

thanks for ythe help btw

GSF do the fan switches fairly cheap, don't think they stock the fibre washer though, have to go to VAG for that.

Make sure you get a 3 pin one that matches your old one, not a 2 pin golf single speed one.

If you twisted the centre of it I reckon it's well shot, it's only meant to be tightened into the rad with the metal nut hex, pain as it's hard to get at on the car and a very wide fitting, needs to be torqued to 35Nm/26lb/ft if you're being precise.

thatas the chap - can i drive the car to get one? its unlikly to unscrew?

if you get stuck in traffic eventually the car will overheat, but in the current temperature I'd imagine you'll be fine, just make sure you've got no major leaks from the fan switch.

so, did you get a new switch? mine is leaking a tiny amount but I think it's just the old washer, keep putting it off as it's not easy to get at and I know coolant will just piddle all over the place while I struggle to get the new one screwed in :lol: