Sign in to follow this  
nia573

Steering rack bushes

On a mk2 Golf Gti with power steering,is it possible to replace the steering rack bushes with the rack in situ, without having to drop the subframe? Is there enough room to manuover the brackets off?

Any tips for replacing? I'm thinking of using standard VAG parts, not the poly ones

On a mk2 Golf Gti with power steering,is it possible to replace the steering rack bushes with the rack in situ, without having to drop the subframe? Is there enough room to manuover the brackets off?

Any tips for replacing? I'm thinking of using standard VAG parts, not the poly ones

I think there's just the one U clamp and mounting, just allows some movement if the subframe flexes, should be fairly easy to do. I've got a new clamp and VAG bush, just not got round to doing it.

thats right. on the nearside. should be easy enough to swap over. the steering rack bolts have splines in them to try and hold them in place - they might be a little tough to move initialls - and access sucks if on axle stands but you should get it changed over ok.