Sign in to follow this  
corradostuff

Screeching wheel

I'm having trouble with my drivers side front wheel. It often makes a horrible screeching noise.

I don't think its the bearing, there is no play in the wheel and its not a crunching sort of noise.

I've started thinking it could be the brake calliper seizing. It doesn't make the noise all the time, but when its doing it if I lightly touch the brakes it stops. Could the calliper be pushing on the disk making this noise? Is there any way of checking without buying new callipers?

Anything else? I've done loads of searches but thats confused me more, ball joints, CV joints...

Another wierd thing is that it only seems to do it when the wheel is turned left. If you turn the wheel right then it stops :?

try re greasing the caliper slider pins and cleaning up the surfaces the pads are meant to slide on and re grease those too.

In two cars (Manta and Polo) I had screeching from one wheel.

It turned out to be a small stone caught between disc and its thin metal weathershield(?)

My son had it in his S3 a couple of weeks ago, too.

One of the first and easiest things I would look for.

Often happens after driving over freshly laid tar and stones.

Happened to me in the Polo on the Isle of Mull on a long remote peninsula reaching out into the Atlantic. Worried the $hit out of me until reversing the car made the stone pop out and all was quiet again.

i have this exact problem at the mo. iv taken the brakes apart and given it a good clean but it still mkes the noise!