Sign in to follow this  
swginn

FK Smoked Tailights

Have used the search but had no luck!!

Got my FK smoked/red tailights during the week and surprisingly enough they fit quite well. They really transform the car and "modernise" it if you get what I mean? What I don't like though is the chrome at the top of the lights and in between the red/smoked lenses. I just think it looks a little too flashy for the Corrado.

Has anyone stripped off this paint, what colour is it underneath and what did you use?? .......Or am I better off painting them with black hammerite a la tinted headlight mod??

Cheers in advance!!

when we did the group buy a few years ago someone painted the mirror, and also someone printed dots onto a paper insert to dull the effect down.

you can always use tint spray, that would be easier than trying to strip them back to base.

Sorry, should have been more specific, I don't want to paint the glass or dull down the effect.. its the chrome thats visible when you open the boot that I want to get rid of. If it's black underneath I'll get out the paint stripper!!

I have the same issue, i'm planning to spray them with plastic 'black satin' bumper paint (from Halfords) I have done wheel arch trims in the past with it and the finish is very consistent & hardwearing, almost looks like factory plastic.

Ideally needs to be sprayed with plastic primer first though.

Sorry, should have been more specific, I don't want to paint the glass or dull down the effect.. its the chrome thats visible when you open the boot that I want to get rid of. If it's black underneath I'll get out the paint stripper!!

ahh, sorry mate, my bad, see what you mean now.

well prep and paint it.

I really wouldn't fart around with stripper etc (plastic never likes paint stripper), just sand it down, prep it properly, and paint it whatever colour you like.

DIY.

Clear Coat + Black, get the shade you want. 400 sand the rear lenses and coat it, multiple passes to get the shade you want.

I do all my cars this way... iwill post pics later on.

Now that looks proper smart! Do youhave any close up shots? What did you do about the edges where all the dirt collects? Been thinking about getting a set and taking the lenses off to paint underneath them.

They look perfect...they could have been factory fit!!

Yet another thing on the to-do list. Detailed the headlights and fitted a new splitter today.....so I'm getting there!! Will post up some pics when I get mine done. Cheers Lads!!

Bally,

Is it black plastic underneath ya? Car is lookin mint by the way, took a bit of inspiration from its early days for my own. Cheers

Bally,

Is it black plastic underneath ya? Car is lookin mint by the way, took a bit of inspiration from its early days for my own. Cheers

Morning m8.. yes its black plastic, although looking to paint em black soon as there looking abit manky :lol:

cheers nice to no... 8)

Here is mine, sort of a shitty picture, but will upload more later, waiting on my body kit and lowering springs and rims.

These are the rims i got 17" VT3061.jpg

i wet n' dry'd mine off and masked and painted them with just cheapo halfords matt black paint, they look pretty factory i think, dont have a clue why FK made them with chrome edges..!!