Sign in to follow this  
nia573

Front wheel bearings

I need to get the front wheel bearings done on my mk2 (with G60 280mm brakes)

I’ve heard some conflicting reports about early failiure on GSF/ECP bearings so I rang up the dealers & they are £26.27 + Vat each side!

I can get Febi/Bilstein from VW Parts for £12.49 each (+vat) http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1022

– is the quality ok & better than GSF?

Alternatively I could get some SKF or FAG ones through work, but is the 72mmOD x 40mm ID x 37mm thick the correct size to get?? Anyone got any of the SKF part numbers so I can confirm?

The vw & vw spares kit comes with new circlips & nuts, but if I order the bearing alone through work I’ll have to be using the old circlips & nuts that are on the car. Is this advisable or should I buy the complete kit?

The bearing quality isn't an issue, it's the morons who hammer them in as if they are working in a medieval forge. I have never had a premature front wheel bearing failure in 25 years and the quality of bearings from GSF and ECP is fine.

spooky, just done one of these today (well, 2 actually, seeing as the first one didn't fit)

the size you list is correct. I could have suppllied you with the SKF number, but unfortunatley my motor factors gave me bearings that were 38.8mm ID........i was well pleased to find the hub wouldn't fit in it.

it goes without saying, you need a hydraulic press to fit them, not a hammer.

here's my technique:-

Get the hub assembly off the car. if I need to tell you how to do that you shouldn't be tackling the job in the first place.

find a nice big socket, just under 40mm. place the hub assembly face down in a vice. put the socket over the hub and belt out with the hammer

Removeve what's left of the inner races and bearing rolling elements

remove the circlips. if they won't budge stick a drift inthe hole and give it a taop with the hammer to free it.

run a bea dof weld around the inner race. when it cools the effect of the weld pulls on the bearing race and shrinks it a little. it also gives you something to hit.

If you have an old bearing race, grind down the outside so it's smaller than 72mm. use this as a collar with which to press the old bearing out. if you don't have one, then you'll have to belt it out with the hammer.

clean up the hub carrier and the bore

fit the outermost circlip

place the hub carrier face down in the press. put the new bearing in from the back

use the old bearing as a collar to press the new bearing in with, pressing only on the outer race (hence the ideal use of the old ground down bearing)

wait until the pressure guage starts to show pressure. as soon as it does, the bearing is home.

fit the inner circlip

take the hub carrier out of the press, and place the hub itslef on the press bed. place the hub asssembly over it, face down.

find another socket ro collar, this tim as big as the inner race. use this to make sure that your press is only pressing on the inner race of the new bearing.

again, press until the guage registers, this should be enough to see the hub pressed right into the bearing.

fit it to the car!

I ALWAYS change the track rod end an bottom ball joint too. saves having to mess about with them another time. for the few quid they coast you might as well do them whilst you're in ther, and it's odds on you'll split the boots on them anyway trying to get the hub ccarrier off in the first place.

have fun.

Cheers for that Paul, I'll try & get them ordered & fitted next week

(BTW You got the paperwork sorted for me yet? :wink: )

Mike