Sign in to follow this  
freddy_t

Another heater matrix question...

Hey guys,

Looking at tackling my matrix this weekend. Been recommended fitting a genuine VW one as apparantly aftermarket ones are just a tempory fix.

Has anyone had trouble with aftermarket ones (ie gsf etc..?)?

Also Im assuming that beacuse the heater matrix has gone is that why when driving on the motorway it doesnt hit 90 degrees usually only reachs 75 degrees, however in traffic it sits inbetween 90 and 100 degrees. Is this anything other than the matrix?

Many thanks

Fred

Sorry guys that wasn't very clear! Its a VR6. The day I bought the car got it upto temperature then water leaked into the footwell at an alarming rate. Called out the AA and he said it could be the matrix.

Have diverted the matrix and the car has run fine since however no heaters. Like I say the temperature is fine in traffic as the fans kick in (sits inbetween 90 - 100 degrees) however on the motorway she stays cool.

I didnt think this would be related to the matrix as it doesn't influence coolant temp (or does it?)

What else may it be and are there any checks I can do to carry this out?

Thanks

Fred.

Staying cool on the motorway is normal,its got plenty of airflow to cool things down unlike sitting in traffic,Get you matrix done and go from there,I have never heard of any horror stories with non genuine matrix.

What is your oil temp like on the motorway?

OK thats good news. Oil temp on the motorway is around 96-100 degrees sat at 65mph.

I will change the matrix and see how it goes from there...

Surely it should sit at 90 degrees tho...?

Thanks

Fred