Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Top timing chain cover, vr6

TAre these glued on with gasket sealer or anything? I started taking my engine apart to remove the cams tonight and this cover wouldnt budge. Ive just checked the knowledge base and ive removed the 10 bolts it mentions, the cam sensor and the hydraulic tensioner but it wont budge. Does it have to be lifted straight up as well to get it off the locating pins?

There are 2 bolts that screw into the top cover from underneath, through the bottom cover. Have you removed these? Be careful not to damage the head gasket though! It pokes out the side of the head and is the seal between the top and bottom covers.

Not sure if you had this problem, but i had to remove the thermostat housing to get to one of the bolts?

Or, as you say, it could just be gasket sealer. There is no gasket between the covers and the side of the head, so gasket sealer is the only way to get a good seal...

Yeah, I got them 2 bolts and managed to remove the other 8 round the edge without removing the thermostat housing.

Gavie it a few gentle taps with a hammer as well but it wouldnt budge.

A lot of people do use gasket sealer on these. I've taken a couple off and they've both been stuck fast. Nylon mallet job!