Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Update: Coolant leak really big now

Me again :lol:

i was losing coolant the other week and it appeared to be wet around the thermostat housing (black plastic thing)

so that was taken off and taken apart, and the o-rings replaced inside.

but the car still seems to be losing coolant, can't see anywhere else that is wet, and no puddles underneath car.

its not a massive amount, but was 4" below the minimum line on header tank this morning, drives ok, and doesn't run hot either.

the garage are going to do a pressure test on weds night, where would be the likely areas to look.

thanks

3corsa - when you had the housing off, did you inspect it carefully? When I removed my one there were cracks right through the casing - see circled areas.

There is a thread with other common places to check - notably the water pumps and the rad itself... look for white powdery deposits...

Can't find anything then it could be either the Headgasket or the Matrix...

Had the same problem.

Taken on a costly trip by the initial dealer

changed the head gasket, to coolant storage. Even changed the temp gauge.

Bottom line check the secondary radiator as the VR6 has got 2, it only kicks in when the primary cannot cope and needs help

i didn't take the thermo housing apart, but am sure he would of checked for cracks, also i can't see it leaking from there any more

i really hope its not Head gasket :(

heater matrix has already been changed once as it broke.

what other signs should i look out for to see if its head gasket?

Had a similar problem with mine, turns out it was the pipe that connects to the oil cooler, might be worth checking around there?

What engine is it?

Had coolant leaks on my last two Corrado's now both from the same spot (well, same thing but in different places) - the plastic flange on the front of the head (16v) and on the side of the head (G60) cracks with age and the rubber seal perishes. Cue water leakage.

UPDATE: (its all in one thread)

this morning there was no coolant in header tank, a puddle under car and water leaking/dripping from the engine

as you look at bay its on the left side of the thermostat housing and all that black plastic, but quite high up, too high to be able to see the exact leak

where would i see the head gasket leaking if its that side of the engine?

am driving a 75bhp diesel van now :lol: joy!

thanks for the suggestions, is a relief to find out it may not be headgasket.

got it booked into garage tomorrow, they must be getting fed up with it already :lol:

they must be getting fed up with it already :lol:

I doubt it, the owner of the place I take my C to has just picked up a top of the range Toureg and I swear I paid for at least half of it! :x