Sign in to follow this  
KARMANN

career advise panel beating spray painting etc

Hi everyone,

im looking into the possibility of studying car restoration,body repairing,ie having the skill to do cars up.only problem is i dont know exactly how to go about it,being twenty doesnt help as iv heard that companies would rather have young apprentices.im in uni at the moment but it doesnt interest me.i know the salary wouldnt be anywhere near as good as what my degree would have got me (mechanical engineer) but i want to have a career that interests me.if anybody has knowledge about this topic please respond.

Get your engineering degree... You'll find it a hell of a lot of use if you decide to persue this line of career you're thinking of... Either that, or swap courses to an automotive engineering one.

The only way I know to get into the restoration trade is to start at the bottom and work up... Lots of time and effort to do....

Good luck.

Henny (B-Eng(Hons.) :D :lol: )

well im a sprayer and was trained on the job

but really college is the way to go there are a lot off people out there that can say spray a car but there is a lot more to it than pulling a trigger

i dont think 20 is to old in fact i was slightly older when i started and have now been doing it 10 years

moneys not brilliant as with any job in the motor trade it all depends on what type of place you work at

but you really sure this it what you want to do seems and ideal job if you love doing up cars but it doesnt take long to lose interest in your car as a hobby when youve been doing it for 45 hours a week

hth

funky

Dont wanna stir up a brawl, but i totally disagree jus from what i am seeing...

Personally i have got a degree, 2 of my mates have got degrees in engineering and another in medical sciences and ones of my mates has done masters in graphical design and enginnering and none of us have got jobs that we went to uni for. Funnily enough we are either overqualified or not enough field experience......

something to think about

i too am 20..and was giving this car restoration a bigthought over the last year i spent on doing my mk4 polo up...me and my dad both shared spraying bits and pieces of the car..

my dad used to spray cars for a private income...that was 15yrs ago! he then worked for 2 industrial sprayer works that used to spray train parts and dash parts of cars.

he told me about so many medical problems his friends have now aquired from breathing in the 2 pack paint...i.e. 1part paint and 1 part hardner...well it contains cytocynate..i.e. cyanide!

to much can kill you very slowly...

you have to have regular medical checks and be fit or else by the time your 40yrs old, you won't be able to keep going!

It would be good to learn how to do it as an interest in your spare time like i have done...then perhaps after your degree you could go into more practice...perhaps even open your own bodyshop like i wanted to do!

why not pop along to a local bodyshop and see if they don;t mind you watching the guys and learning...you could give them a free hadn in return depending on what it is.

You don't have to listen to us..but i think your thinkin like me...Fast and furious style doin up cars in a secured unit containing 3 maybe 4 supercars...

keep ya head up mate...i'm sure you'll know whats right! 8)

cheers,but im definetly not continuing on my course.im a believer of this way of choosing ur career path-If u were a millionaire what would u do to keep yourself busy?my answer is doing up old cars.please keep the responses coming!!!!!!!!!