Sign in to follow this  
VR enthusiast

Stereo removal

Bit of a novice question this one but can someone tell me how to remove the stereo (Sony - as originally fitted) from my VR6?

It squeaks every time I go over a bump and is slowing driving me to madness.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

You'll need to remove the square edging around the unit, which will reveal slots on each side of the unit. Then you can insert the special tool on each side to unclip it. If you've not got a tool, then head to an audio place and slip the guy a fiver to slip it out.... (not like that ;) )

I had right problems after loosing my Alpine tools... had to call in expert help....

I've just replaced mine and if i remember correctly the little slots to insert the tool are along the top edge and are horizontal not vertical....

...although i could be confusing it with my new sony stereo. I'll check later.

If you aint got the special tool i find using my missus's metal nail files a good substitute, although i now owe her a new one as the plastic handle came off in my hand when i last used it....

or you could nip into halfords and buy the stereo keys from there..theyre cheap and sell keys for pretty much all steroes (cant help but that think that that kinda defeats the point of having keys but..)

yep over the years ive tried all of the above, ive even lost the replacement ones a few times, i find anything that is as long as the head unit is deep, 6 inches? - and that fits the slots will release the head unit, theses just abent bit of metal inside that needs pushing in, you did need to release both sides at the same time idealy - files seem to work best!

Thanks for the tips, just had a go with some keys I've got for the sony stereo in my mk2 golf gti, problem at the moment is I can't get the plastic surround off though.

Will have another go when its light tomorrow.

Cheers fellas