Sign in to follow this  
2corrados

1.8 16v mystery cut out when hot HELP PLEASE!!

Me Again

have had a look and can't find anyone who has had the same problem.

Only picked car up this weekend, but is tidy, has had new plugs and leads.

Problem is when car is over 80 degrees (Oil) it occasionally cuts out entirely very briefly and then is fine again for a bit, then does it again.

Its not fuel as the rev counter dips briefly and then comes back again, in time with the car cutting out and in again.

Drove 170 miles today and got no better or worse, only occurs when hot. Temps were all fine steady 80mph water 70 oil 88 to 94. I am confused

It is a tidy 1.8 16v LHD with 77k and a nice black leather interior which is going in my VR6, but car is too good to throw away

Any help gratefully received.

Dic

ok gonna see about the dizzy. have the vag garage doing a behind the scenes vagcom on it tomorrow, and will let you know what happens. does bring a whole new meaning to kangaroo petrol tho..................lol

You will have trouble code reading it unless it is one of the super rare PL engined 1.8 16v's, the KR has no diagnostic ability.

mmmm, I didn't know that. Will have to check. So none of the 1.8's have a diagnostic circuit then ? Any others thats dont't, just so I know for future reference.

Cheers Dic

The KR1.8 16v engine never had any form of diagnostic ability whatsoever and European G60's didn’t where certain later US market versions did. I had to double check this morning but I was wrong about rare PL engined models with diagnostics, they wasn't one with the PL. The 2E and ADY 2L 8v's, 9A 2L 16v's and VR6's all had diagnostics.

ok, thats very informative, but I have a query. Why then does this 1.8 have the plug in sockets for whatever underneath the gear gaiter. Why is it there if it's not used ?

Anyway, thats getting away from the problem. Any ideas as to the problem in hand ?

ok, thats very informative, but I have a query. Why then does this 1.8 have the plug in sockets for whatever underneath the gear gaiter. Why is it there if it's not used ?

Anyway, thats getting away from the problem. Any ideas as to the problem in hand ?

perhaps it's just a standard loom regardless of engine on that age of car, doesn't appear to be engine specific on ETKA.

My 1.8 16v has a single connector there, but it appears to just be an ignition switched live and an earth (red and brown wires) I assumed it was part of the loom for illumination of the rear ashtray or something, never checked it really.

If your problem was the hall sender in the dizzy I'd imagine the car would refuse to start though.

David.

this one has 2 twin connectors. must be for something ?

Anyway gone for MOT so not back until Friday. Will see what I can do wirth it over w/e but any thoughts on cutitng out problem would be appreciated.

news from the mot.pretty good really. have not found any fault with dizzy, so still hunting for problems

any further help would be appreciated.

2 connectors were for the abs diagnostics, nothing else.

someone else must have had the same problem

Dic

well, got the motor back, all fixed for mot.

The hot misfire I think I have solved with the usual help from the forum, turned out to be the coil. I swapped the one of my 2l 16v and took it out for an hour. Got really warm, and behaved itself so hope it's sorted.

Bought a new coil and will fit that tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone, and if it comes back i'll let you know.

Dic