Sign in to follow this  
Stakis

What fuel pump for g60???

My fuel pump in tank run out of order. What fuel pump I can use in place? In which cars was used the same pump?

i think single one. i swaped this motor into golf mk3. so i haven't changed anything. golf was 1,8 monoinjection 66kw 90hp. i just placed a corrado fuel pump into fuel tank. i think my rado was 1990 with digifant 4,0 in it.

According to ETKA is't changed at engine number .: >> 50_L_005732

Mine falls into this catagory and was registered 02/1990 as a guide. However they're seems to be a few changes so might be best to check your exact number against ETKA.

fit any electronic pump that is capable.

for a modder personnally id fit a subaru turbo pump good for 300hp.

i can get you one for 15 quid posted if you want one. PM me. my mate has a dozen or so from when thye have fitted uprated pumps for 350+hp subarus

already done on a couple of digifant golfs with sucess.

i am from lithuania.. :( that's what i a want to know, what other vw model had similar pumps.. :/ i mean, tehy pumped the same amount of fuel.

subaru pumps look just like the vw ones slightly different shape. what i have done is remove the old pump and strap the sub one to the hanger in the same spot and solder the wires to fit. works fine and flows more fuel.

next best alternative is a walbro 255 for around 80 quid. they look like walbro mike. they are what my mates used to use to upgrade subarus. they used the 400hp pump which IIRC is a 255.

the walbros are a tad noisy. if you want a high quality good flow pump then a bosch 044 is the one. or get a vw kjet pump. kjet pumps are good for 350lbs ft so im told.

Before i start to get out of my depth wear exactly is the pump located in the tank? i had a quick look today but couldnt really locate it... probably due to the lack of light

if you pull the carpet up in the boot, or tip the back seats forward (can't remember exactly which one), there is a circular plate that you can lift up, under there you can gain access to the fuel tank, the pump should be sat inside attached to the fuel pipes

Yep,

Run tank low if pos

Unplug FP relay (bottom right)

Take out boot carpet

Unscrew the three cover plate screws

Unswer top cap, this will be tight and may require a hammer and screwdriver to get it to budge!

Remove and unplug connector, undo fuel pipe clips

Pull top bit out and place on some newspaper etc

Should now see pump unit in tank and this twists to remove like a bayonet fitting

Use a good quality rubber glove (the mechanics type disolve!) and remove the lot.

Next problem is VW only sell a VDO unit (original is Pierberg) and you need to buy a new sender unit too (£45) even on the later models...

I remember Kev fitting a pump to his from GSF (VR6 = same 4 Bar pump) and it was just a straight swap so went to GSF but they don't even list a G60 or VR6 pump any more...

Then went to Eurocarparts and they had a Bosch one instock (£102 inc vat which was £8 cheaper than the VW one) and the bloke said I shouldn't need the sender...

When I took the old one out it was clear that the pump was completly different and did need the sender, ordered it next day, got it and it fitted but was not just a straight swap...

New pump comes with plastic pipes and new OE clips to the bottom of the top plate that you see from within the boot, connected these and did up the clips with a very blunt pair of wire cutters...

Pump plugs in with spade connectors and sender unit clips on pump ok but the wires for this need to be cut off the old pump and soldered to the new sender where there are some male spades (I only had one of the correct size and it wasn't very secure so did it properly!)

Now time to fit back into car, a bit of a fiddle but sender goes on RHS of pump as you face the front of car. Put gasket into hole and then push the top bit in, connect pipes with new Jubilee's and plug in then screw cap back on (hand tight)

Put relay back and prime by turning the key to ignition 2 without starting engine a few times...

It's not that difficult and is about 1-2 hours work plus £150 so if the suburu ones fit and they also upgrade then that sounds like a better way to go...

Gazza - do they just replace the small pump itself that is sat in the unit as the whole surround is really just for anti-vibration / noise dampening...

Also - I found loads of small metal shards in the bottom of the tank and also in the filter of the old pump - I assume these are from the filler neck being scratched?? I tried to pick them up with a magnetic pickup tool but they were not magnetic enough...

Gazza what subaru pump is required? is there any differences in models??

Also i just had a quick look... i cant work out how the top part comes off tho?? does it just pull off? it seems stuck down..

DSCF3291.jpg

I edited my post Mike, sorry...

The black ring unscrews but it will need a bit of force to budge - I used a screwdriver and hammer at an angle against the ridged bits...

(There is a proper VAG tool if you are near to a dealer and they will lend it out)

I will take my chances and use the screwdriver method... :)

I think i may also go for the walbro 255 pump and try to adapt it somehow... Quite a bit cheaper than stealer prices!

I think the car is leaning out occasionally at high revs / high boost which is causing the car to pink and bleed boost... if i can get myself a decent pump then atleast i wont need to touch that again in the future..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WALBRO-FUEL-PUMP-00-06-SUBARU-IMPREZA-255LPH_W0QQitemZ190041396179QQihZ009QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Although there seems to be 2 different types of 255 walbro pump??

Hi

yes just replace the pump in the housing. remove old. fit new, wire up wrap with 2 cable ties. ensure filter sits in same spot. looks just like a walbro. pumps are made by denso IIRC

there are slight differences in models. all the ones i have are at least uk turbo pumps, some sti some wrx. the sport impreza's engine is not as strong a the fuel pump really so... some are slightly bigger than others but i cant see any of them not fitting.

i was told that the std G60 pump was good for upto and around 200hp. when i had sns do a stg 5 for mine years ago they said it looked like i had a particularly good pump so i never changed mine.

plenty of them about just sat in a box. let me know if i can help. im thinknig of running 1 in tank and i have a Holley in-line FI pump as well. my pump has done 150k and most subarus only manage 60-80k on an engine/life so the pumps should be good.

I had a Walbro in mine and it broke.

Fit a Sytec from Stealth. Good for 500hp and they have the proper fitting kits to slot it into the OE housing properly instead of bodging it in.

cheers for the confidence vote kev.

ive seen more cars with over 350hp on this type of "bodge" as you call it than you could imagine mate!

thanks for the subaru pump gazza! i hope this will sort me out for a while! :D

Judging by your experiences with them i am sure it will work fine on my setup!