Sign in to follow this  
leigha

16V pas belt routing

hello there

i've just bought a 1990 1.8 16V corrado which has a few problems so i'm sure i'll be around here a lot from now on!

first simple one, the previous owner reported intermittent power steering and upon inspection there is no belt fitted! i bought a new one earlier but this seem way too short... does anyone have the spec of the right one?

also, am i right in thinking the pas belt runs over the crank pulley, water pump pulley and pas pulley? it looks odd that's all. i noticed the water pump has a wierd split pulley and it seem that other than some friction, the water pump is not being driven. is this right?

sorry for so many questions but i'm new to the corrado...

ta

Up to the end of January 1991, the KR engine used a strange and unreliable pulley system on the water pump with a slip ring outer pulley for an idler on the power steering belt, the part number for the whole assembly being 027 121 028. The belt for the main crank pulley (the rear groove of the machined steel rubber damped pulley) went to the idler pulley mentioned above and then up to the alternator using a 9.5x 950 (10 x 950 really) belt. The power steering belt went around the outer pressed steel pulley, then onto the pressed pulley bolted over the slipper pulley and around the PS pump pulley and back to the crank using a 9.5 x 730 belt up to chassis wvwzzz50zMK005059 (Nov 1990) and after that a 9.5 x 630 although this chassis numbers is approximate.

cheers for that crasher!

it seems to agree with what i suspected from looking at it. the belt i was given seems to be a 10 x 625 and is too short. looks like mine is an uber early model!

it it likely that the funny idler pulley wuld have killed off the pas belt? i assume this jamming would do it in a very short time?

i think mine may well be stuffed as it's got a reasonable bit of 'drag' on it. how much do these cost, any ideas?

cheers for that crasher!

it seems to agree with what i suspected from looking at it. the belt i was given seems to be a 10 x 625 and is too short. looks like mine is an uber early model!

it it likely that the funny idler pulley wuld have killed off the pas belt? i assume this jamming would do it in a very short time?

i think mine may well be stuffed as it's got a reasonable bit of 'drag' on it. how much do these cost, any ideas?

the idler pulley isn't on the same drive belt as the ps pump, it's the inner one that runs to the alternator.

the outer belt drives both water pump and ps pump.

check the idler pulley with the belt off, the outer ring should turn over the inner part (they don't spin it's just to allow a bit of variation in drive speed from the main water pump pulley) but most of them make some chatter or rattle, only replace if the dry bearing material inside is breaking up and falling out.

VW want stupid money for these, I bought one new from Volksapart a few years ago now, cost about 70 quid IIRC - bad enough.

David.

cheers for that. the worryying thing is that it's only been the friction in the system that has been turning the pas pump!!! it's not overheated though... best keep an eye on that!

i have a new belt now and will try that this evening.