Sign in to follow this  
nia573

Slight knock from front of Mk2

(Car is a '91 Mk2 Gti with H&R springs & Konis)

Today while stationary & idleing, if I move the steering about 2" from centre to the left & right, the wheels move as they should, so there's not much free play at all, but I can feel a slight knock from the pedal area inside the car, & while dad did this when I had my hand on the tyre, I could feel the wheel jerk slightly backwards by about 5mm ish (not much but it wasn't as noticeable on the passenger side) . Car has power steering by the way

I've replaced the front & rear engine mounts not so long ago (August) so they should be ok.

My front wheel bearings are suspect too because they drone slightly at speed - could this be a cause I wonder?

I've a feeling that the top mounts are gone & they'll be replaced with VR6 ones this week. If these are shot would that cause the knock, or could a dodgy cv joint cause this too? (Noticed yesterday that the drivers side outer cv joint boot on my Mk2 had split so I'll have to sort that out this week.) The outer joint isn't clicking on full lock though so I think it's ok

Sometimes I can feel the same sort of slight clonk when pulling off in 1st.

I've checked the rear (vertical) fixing bolts for the wishbone & they are tight (Powerflex bushes fitted too). The inner cv joints have been mentioned to me, but I've never had a failed inner before - what are the symptoms if they're on the way out? The boots aren't split at all & the balljoints don't seem to have any play in them

Anything else that could be checked? Just need some guidance on what to ask at the garage tomorrow

It needs to go on a lift to check for movement in the wheel bearings, ball joints, track rod inner and outer ends, rack, top mounts and rack mounts or even wishbone bushes, it's no use guessing.