Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

Tri-mode (worth a tri? *chuckle*)

Added a sub to my system yesterday and put the 6x9's that had been running off the amp onto the standard wires for the rear speaker, and they sound terrible! might as well just have the original back speakers running from the sound quality they produce.

It's possible to run my amp in Tri-mode, so i went and got some wires and a treble filter last night to give it a go. The guy in the shop said "it'll work, but to what extent I dont know"

Now I understand that turning the amp up will effect both the sub and the 6x9's, but the sub is quite low powered (150w RMS) and the 6x9's are 75w RMS so i dont 'think' i'll have too many problems.

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with tri-mode and how it went?

if you have a 4 channel bridgeable amp you should be fine. if you still have the box or instructions for the amp (might even say on it) to find out the power it can handle you could do some maths and get it running sweet (or do what i did and just plug it in a play with it till you're happy)

its a 2 channel bridgeable amp. but in the instructions it says you can run it in tri mode with a little diagram, bascially you set your 6x9's up on the amp as per normal, and then set the sub up bridged, set the amp to full range and pop a resistor on the + cable for the sub to block the high frequencys. All the speakers and the amp are 4ohm stable (dont know much about what that means, i'm guessing more speakers = higher resistance and so a higher ohm rating?)

that should be cool then. i'd keep an eye out for a 4 channel personally as it should give better sound and variance (depends on what you want though)

good luck and i hope it sounds cool

kelvin

make sure the numberplate is securely on as if it vibrtes it makes a horrible noise and people laugh at you. its really easy to overlook that (i did when i first got a sub in mine) makes a huge difference (and people don't think its a nova coming)