Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

window control module, draining power, questions...

ok so my corrado never let both windows go down at the same time, ever. I was wondering if this was normal or if this isnt supposed to happen?

also my window control module was sucking .2A when my car was off so I have to get a new one....

is there a better replacement for the module part number is 191 959 875, wondering if I can replace with one from a passat or something 375 I think are the 3 starting digits... I really would like to have both windows go down and up at the same time...

The 'not being able to work both windows at the same time' is just a Corrado thing. They all do it! :)

I think the .2A current drain is normal too. Though it's a design flaw, by anyone's standards.

Which fuse is the window controller on, and what other things are on it's circuit?

Would be interested to know. Could any of the electronics savvy folks explain why this happens and if it could be worked around? :)

I've heard that the control module doesn't leak current when the battery is first connected, but as soon as you actually use the windows it then sits there leaking forever.

I've not checked it myself though.

If there's a later model (e.g. the passat one) that doesn't do this then this mod will save a hell of a lot of Corrado owners from buying new batteries every 3 years. The ability to wind both windows at the same time would just be icing on the cake...

It's undoubtedly a design flaw in the electronics on the controller.

i think the one window at a time issue is just down to penny pinching VW so they didnt have to use chunky wiring and relays capable of coping with the current of both window motors operating at the same time.

also when the current draw was measured was the door open? the window module is activated when the ignition is on and also when the door is opened and for a short while after the ignition is switched off, after this short time it should shut down and not draw any current, mine certainly doesnt.

it would also be handy if the sunroof remained active for a short while after the ignition was switched off as i have lost count of the number of times i forgot to close the sunroof and had to switch the ignition back on to close it, as mine is an early model it doesnt have the full closure feature that the late cars had.

No, what I've heard is that it draws current for ever, basically. Door open or not. Though yes, maybe that story came from someone who was sitting with the door open ... :)

my car had been off for 8 hours and I had measured the current on the positive wire, but over there its the negative wire I guess... we have a - ground here.

it was eating batteries up left and right.

anyway Im gonna try and work out the passat thing and get both windows working with no draw.

cool guys, new mod!

We all have -ve earth mate ...

So you're saying your window control box *was* drawing 200mA after the car had been off for 8 hours potatonet?

If we can prove this means the control box is faulty, that's a very interesting fact! We'd come to assume that's just "how it is", like so many other crappy things on old VWs.

Keep us posted - and feel free to make it a How To if you feel so inclined! :)

if your window control box is still pulling 200mA after 8 hours its either faulty (probably a relay with stuck contacts) or the wiring has been messed about with, after looking through wiring diagrams there is no reason for the control box to continue drawing current after the timer has timed out, the only time it should is for a while after the door has been opened or when the ignition is on and for a short while after the ignition is switched off, i left my car standing for 3 weeks last time i went to saudi and it started first turn when i returned.

the only thing i disconnected while i was away was the alarm.