Sign in to follow this  
VR6Bella

Rear lights doing strange things

It was pointed out to me on the way to work tody that my rear lights were not working - checked and this was the case.

However on further inspection the brake lights don't work when the lights are on either full lights or side. The fogs do show however - so I am using them when ever braking - Creative driving is the way forward!

But the brake lights do show when no lights on!

Had quick glance at loom but nothing obvious - can some one tell me where the rear clusters earth? Wether there is a relay / fuse that might effect this?

Surely thats a fuse or relay?

Can't remember which one and I've lost my book I'm afraid.

If anyone looks it up, can they also tell me which fuse is the front speakers please? :)

Been told not a relay - and probally not a fuse by VW.

Just cannot find where supposed to earth to. The only place that have found is to the inside of the drivers side light cluster - but all clean and nice and tidy so don;t think it is this one!

Just for any one using this for info - I put in the wrong bulb :oops: and after skipping around the car with a multimeter for an hour stopped to have a look and realised my mistake!

Just for any one using this for info - I put in the wrong bulb

Hi

Please tell us more.

Which bulb was it

How did the wrong bulb locate itself in the holder.

If you put a turn signal bulb (single connection) into a brake light connector (dual connection) the turn signal bulb will span both leads and do very interesting things with your lights. It's even more interesting when you have daytime-runnign-lights.

Can't comment on the fogs however, Canadian Corrados never got them.

That is basically it - the single filament bulb fitted neatly into the dual filament bulb fitting. The single filament bulb was just one other from the kit that they sell as auto repair kits for bulbs and I didn’t look when replacing it.

I didn’t think about the possibility of a bulb fitting where it shouldn’t so carried on regardless! It meant that my break lights were on all the time (or appeared to be to any on lookers) and that no one could tell I when was breaking. And that I wasted a lot of time taking out all the lights / dash / even taking the foot break mechanism apart to try and see if a switch / relay / wiring / fuse had gone!