Sign in to follow this  
freddy_t

Replacing thermostat

Bit fiddly tbh. You'll need to remove the dizzy/coilpack for easier access. Once you've removed the old housing give the side of the head where it was mounted a good clean, especially if it was siliconed before. I would definately replace the rubber seal too. Don't do the bolts up too tightly when refitting it either, as over-tightening can damage the plastic housing.

As above - yes it is fiddly! I wouldn't have removed my one without a set of Irwin Bolt grips. A couple of the bolts were on tight and just rounded. They were probably worn by being removed previously. Give the housing a good inspection, as the plastic deteriorates over the years.

Hi guys gone about replacing the thermostat. Have removed upper and lower rad coolant pipes to gain access however the bolts appear a pig to get at. I can see 2 and the 3rd is hiding somewhere. Are they 5mm allen bolts? If so what tool did you use to get in there? Am i doing something wrong?

Many thanks

Fred.

Sorry just re-read your previous threads do you remove the thermostat housing from the block? i was trying to remove the bolts on the lower plastic underneath the thermostat. :?

Oh if i remove the whole housing from the head do I have to change the seal thats in there? All I was given from GSF was a thermostat and a single o-ring so dont want to be removing things if when I fit them back together they'll start leaking! lol. Can anyone advise? Anyone got any piccys as to which bolts to remove to change the thermostat easiest? thanks again

Fred.

Get the o-ring for the crack pipe and the seal for where it mounts to the head from VW, they're cheap enough and it's a good idea to replace them based on the state of mine when I removed the housing.

There's 3 bolts holding the housing to the head, 2 long and one short. Once you remove it'll become obvious how you change the thermostat :)

Dutch

doing mine tommorow for the second time in so many months!

Problem i have is that the VW main dealer (not my local one) completely rounded off all the coil pack bolts!! !! so i have to do it blind.

Several people have looked at getting them out now to no avail. So i think the only way is to badger the feck out of the CP when the time comes, or try arguing the case with VAG, but im probably better off asking my 2yr old to sort it for me.

Nick, try the Irwin Bolt Grippers on the CP bolts...

BTW - if you need new bolts look under a later Golf on ETKA (they don't show up for Corrado)

Cheers guys things are starting to becoming a little clearer. Will get the seal from vw. Am i correct in thinking that once the CP is removed the 3 bolts will be obvious and if so is the thermostat housing removed in one with the housing that holds the 3 temp senders?

Many thanks again guys...

Fred.

Yep, take the whole lot, including the sensors off. The 3 bolts are pretty obvious, although it's difficult to see them because of the layout.