Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

car polisher

personally i would go for the last one as the speed starts as 600rpm which is ideal fro spreading to polish. then turn up to 900 to work in for a couple of passes... then up to no more than 1500 for 5-10 passes.. then back to 900 for a final pass.

i would never take it higher than 1500-1800 rpm.

I'm a total novice- do these polishers leave swirl marks at all?

machine polishing is the way to get rid of swirl marks though.

depending on the polish you use and your technique though you may leave holograms / buffer trails.

thanks for the replys guys, well theres one xmas prezzie sorted :) i think i have sorted the proper compounds etc etc.

the polisher will be here on monday, so looking at polishs/waxes now. i want a good bit of kit for mostly getting rid of the bloody swirl marks, and leaving the car looking very clean, what do you think of this selection i have chosen,

1, menzerna sr34a for the swirls, used with the sonus swirl buster.

2, meguiars no20 polymer sealent, used with meguiras soft buff pad.

3, colinite476 wax, used with a menzerna polishing pad.

any advise on the above products is very much appreciated,

karl

If you use Menzerna Power Gloss... be carefull.. its one of the most abrassive products out there... also you would need another polish on a softer pad to finish as first time round id be very very suprised if you get a good finish from the power gloss... its a really fussy product to use. Ideally finish with menzerna 106FF final finish polish. It has ALOT let cut and ill be easier to get a finish that doesnt have hologramming or buffer trails!!

that yellow megs pad is actually a polishing pad ... you dont want to use that for sealant... infact i would apply sealand by hand.

dont apply the collinite with the machine. You'll use way too much product!

use a small hand foam applicator for the wax. do a panel at a time and then buff off after a few mins.

I only ever use my rotary for defect removal. It doesnt have any use in applying sealant / glaze / wax. Using hand for these items in my opinion is alot better.

thanks for that Nathan, what would you use for taking out swirl marks then?? theres so much stuff out there :shock: that says its great for taking out swirl marks.

thanks in advance

karl

DOnt get me wrong.. power loss is one of the best swirl removers out there. but it comes with its risks as its gonna take the most amount of clear coat off the car.

Personally i would start with something less abrassive to see if that does the job. Try the Intensive Polish. Its easier to use and wont take quite as much off.

Also.. id try the megs cutting pad instead of the sonus one. The megs pads work very very well on the rotary. The balance easier than any pad i have used and dont generate too much heat and dont break up quickly. Ive been using the same set of megs pads for 4 or 5 cars now. (obvioously washed in between cars)

There is nothing wrong with people doing DIY detailing... as long as they know exactly what their doing first :)

the things you were suggesting would have probably worked fine.. but its all about minimising the risk of further damage.