Sign in to follow this  
greengti

1.8 T engine conversion.

Hello all

Let me just start by apologising for asking a question i am sure has been talked to death BUT i have searched for hours on the forum and just cant find the info i am after.

I would like to look into doing a 1.8T 20v (I think the engine thats in all the VW's Skodas etc) conversion on my 1.816v but i can find the info i am looking for.

In terms of its fitment does it just bold straight in? Does the rad or anything need moving?, is the manifold the correct angle?, does it bold straight on to the 1.8 16v gear box? Whats the best box?

Really any good info or links of this topic would be very gratefully recieved

Thanks

Adam

Alot of our customers use the ABF gearbox, although some are now claiming succes with early passat diesel boxes as the ratios are longer.

you will need a bigger rad than the 16 one i would imagine....and low profile fans.

Custom downpipe is normally required....

you can do it with the factory management to....and we can remove the need to use clocks/keys.

This is a better option tbh, unless you are going to run water injection, huge turbo, or different internals.

Can you disable all the emissions guff too?

I'm curious, as when my friend and I did his 20vt Golf, nobody was offering a OEM option without using all the emission cack, and the keys / clocks.

Do you mean lose the need for the MAF, knock sensors etc?

Think thats more a DTA/Emerald kinda thing.

Would say unless your going to seriously fettle the engine, if you want to drive the car daily, you are much better off with stock management.

N'ah I mean do away with the auxillary fan (the one on the front of the block), the mass of pipework by the inlet manifold, the post cat lambda sensor, and any other emissions related components, which on an older car (pre euro-3 ? emissions regs) aren't required.

I think it's a bit of a myth that you can't use standalone on a daily driver - it just depends on the quality of the map. I know of 4 people using standalone systems on a daily drivers, without any of the fabled "cold-start" issues.

The 20vt I did with a friend has done over 10k as a daily driver so far, and it's absolutly fine. Starts on the button, and is as happy pootling to the shops, as it is being trashed on track.

There are ways of getting around those things...

Its not a myth and thats not really what i was saying, OEM management is a slightly more refined option, for the avergae user who wants a quick car with and OEM style install and who doesnt want to mess about with the maps too much.

Bear in mind that 80+ people developed the ecu for VAG and you have to assume they know what theyre doing and its all been pretty worked out.

DTA and Emerald got so big because back in the day they were the ONLY option (other that sticking key/clocks behind dash...which is ghetto).

Its buyers market....lots of options for lots of people.

Thanks very much for all the info and the reply.

Is there any info anywhere on using the standard 20v engine management with the clocks etc? As I like to keep things as standard as poss (thinking being that VAG spend millions developing their engines and management systems so its best to run it at Mr VAG intended).

Cheers