Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

Handbrake adjustment

Hi, is there a procedure for adjusting the handbrake at the lever end?

I know how to adjust but wondered what I need to look for, if one mech moves before the other then adjust the other one? how far should it rise before the mech moves?

There isn't a procedure as such, just make sure the caliper levers fully return when the handbrake is released. Which rear calipers are you using?

Hi, is there a procedure for adjusting the handbrake at the lever end?

I know how to adjust but wondered what I need to look for, if one mech moves before the other then adjust the other one? how far should it rise before the mech moves?

I guess it shouldn't rise much at all, but if you did it on a very hot day and tightened it down so it pulled on as soon as you moved the lever, then I'd imagine it could start to tension itself when the weather got colder and the cables contracted??? - no idea if they expand that much but it seems feasible.

If you leave it too slack you get that horrible bent up end of the handbrake cover trim :lol:

In the mk2 Golf Haynes manual there is a method of doing it. I think you want to keep the equaliser plate level, and have the handbrake levers on the calipers about 1mm off the stop when the handbrake is 'off'.

It's best adjusted with a chum who can look at the calipers whilst you fiddle.

Mine is all wonkey as it only had one handbrake cable replaced a few years ago. Think I might change both in the near future.

Yeah sorry - did this on sunday, mk4 rears fitted and bled brakes, pumped pedal about 30 times and connected handbrake cables...

Handbrake feels great and locks on the second notch of the ratchet, looking at the adjustment they have not been touched from the factory and the plate is perfectly straight so i'm happy to leave it...

Only slight issue is the boots on the handbrake cable are knackered to i greased them and i will try and buy some new ones if you can get seperatly...

Cheers