Sign in to follow this  
red_baron

Broken Screw

I've finally got round to changing the front discs & pads as I'm off work for a couple of weeks... I knew that the near side countersunk location screw (the one that secures the disc in place) had sheared and the plan was to remove it and put a new one in.

Finally managed to get the disc & caliper off, but removing the remains of the location screw was a nightmare. To cut a long story short, I had to drill the screw out and retap the hole. Unfortunately I retapped the hole in a slightly different position, meaning that it doesn't align properly (the original screw would not come out).

Seeing as though the screw wasn't doing anything previously (because the head had sheared off), and although its a pain getting the wheel back on without the disc secured properly, is it ok without the screw? Surely the 5 wheel bolts will hold it in place?

Yeah - screw only helps locate the wheel bolts, new ones from VW a torx headed how but the main reason for failure is people don't change them for new when changing discs or they don't undo them before undoing hub nuts...

I spoke to a chap at a local meet over the weekend who had to drill one of his and he said they were seriously hard - had to use a cobalt tipped bit i think...

Do you reckon it'll be ok then without the screw? The garage that fitted the previous discs (must be a few years ago) obviously sheared the screw and it seems to have been ok for a few years without the screw holding the disc... until recently when on a RH turn the brakes make a really bad squealing noise...