Sign in to follow this  
Mr Sands

Another appeal for help from peeps with Mk IV Golf knowledge

I have used the search but didn't turn up any tips, apologies if I've been blind.

Yup, back again with the questions regarding my mate's Mk IV TDI. Offside main bulb is out. Looks to be a halogen element, yes? Readily available from Halfrauds, or a main dealer thing?

Furthermore, how the devil do you get the headlamp unit out to change it?

Had a quick look in the dark this evening and was able to find two screws at the top holding the headlamp unit in, but having taken those out, there would seem to be one down at the bottom somewhere holding the whole unit in somehow!

I have a feeling I'm missing something monumentally obvious here, but can't see it! Do I have to take the whole unit out to change it, or is it like a 'rado fix where in theory I CAN fix it in situ?

If I DO have to take the whole headlamp unit out, how do I get to the remaining screws? I have a nasty feeling I might have to remove the bumper, but that seems ridiculously extreme for changing a headlamp bulb.

Buggerit Rodders. I had a horrible feeling about that, but it seemed almost too far fetched! I know that modern cars are more complex, less user friendly, etc etc etc but it seemed a bit much somehow that the bumper needs to come down just to get the damn bulb out! Mind you, you should've heard me on the drive, saying words to the effect of "Bloody modern cars, far too complicated, can't even replace a sodding bulb easily...blimey, I thought the VR engine bay was busy, but every time I look in yours, I realise that I don't know the meaning of the word crowded..." and so on!

Appreciate the help so far though mate. Now, if that is the case that the bumper's got to come off, any advice for doing so? Where do I need to look for its bolts etc?

do a search on UKMIV's forum,think like everything else there is a way to do it without removal of bumper,IIRC its actually not as daunting as it sounds tho

think it is a bumper removal job..................

Bollocks...

The pass side is tricky as you need to remove the battery but both sides can be done with the units in the car, there is a clip on a plastic plug, remove these then unclip the bulb... Think it's the same procedure with the gas lamps but I know you have to be careful as they can explode!

Did both on my wife's MKIV in situ. The bulbs easy enough to get out once you've removed the plastic cover. The fiddly bit is getting the spring clip back on once the new bulbs in but with a bit of patience and perseverance it can be done. Give it a go but be prepared to skin your knuckles and use a few swear words.

think it is a bumper removal job..................

Bollocks...

The pass side is tricky as you need to remove the battery but both sides can be done with the units in the car, there is a clip on a plastic plug, remove these then unclip the bulb... Think it's the same procedure with the gas lamps but I know you have to be careful as they can explode!

say what you think then Steve :-P

I was just going by what I read when the Mk4 was launched

I always do Rodders :lol:

I do find use of a ladder also helps...

I hope Mr Sands hasn't started taking the bumper off!

boo-hoo I was hoping he had :twisted:

Yeah Bill - got to be easier than doing a Corrado bulb in situ tho!!
Corrado bulbs are an absolute doddle in comparison. Got my wife to sell the MKIV before the bulbs went again.

On the Mk1 A3 TDI I had, you unscrew the round back plate on the back of the headlamp and then access through there. Pull the plug off (not easy), and then undo the metal clip (that's a bugger to get back on). It's not great on space, but do'able. Hopefully the Mk4 Golf is similar.

Oddly, mate at work asked the same question about the Mk4 today. He also thought part of the bumper had to be removed! That's just plain stupid if it has to be done that way....

Really?? I've never tried doing a Corrado bulb without taking the units out but I thought about it the other day when we couldn't get the rusted screws off my mates one...

think in the owners handbook it states to take it past your friendly dealer and they will pop bulb in for you.........at your cost obviously

So long since I changed the bulbs in the Corrado but as I remember no need to take the whole unit out (only if you need to replace the lens) and you do need a magnetised screwdriver to undo the screw in the hole as you don't want to drop it.

Fellers, classy response, enormously grateful to you. Will see what can be managed.

And no, I hadn't started taking the bumper off! Bloody hellfire, the day's long enough already without fecking about in the dark taking off the bumper (all on a slanted driveway!).

I'd feel embarassed asking a dealer to change a bulb - I'd rather have the skint knuckles.

Too true, this was exactly my point of view. Though given that this is not my car, my pride isn't technically at stake!

I'd feel embarassed asking a dealer to change a bulb - I'd rather have the skint knuckles.

It wouldn't be embarrassement for me..........it would be the shock of paying the pro-rata hourly rate which up here is £60-ish p/h :shock:

Mr Sands - the worst bit as we've said is getting the spring clip back on as you're doing it blind and the thing is it's actually very easy as you'll realise when you've been trying for half an hour to clip it back the wrong way and suddenly it's back on correctly.

Good luck - it can be done.

vr6storm, £60's cheap - it's £110 at Ipswich Audi!

Anyways, back on topic - Oil change on a mk4 - thats an engine out job isn't it??

:lol:

vr6storm, £60's cheap - it's £110 at Ipswich Audi!

Anyways, back on topic - Oil change on a mk4 - thats an engine out job isn't it??

:lol:

Bollocks!!!!!

its new car time :wink: