Sign in to follow this  
martinb

Standard rear speakers

Just wondering if someone knows off the top of their head what size the standard rear speakers are?

One of mine sounds knackered!

Cheers

Just wondering if someone knows off the top of their head what size the standard rear speakers are?

One of mine sounds knackered!

Cheers

6x4"

used on loads of VW's in the parcel shelf supports, should be able to pick them up for virtually nothing, if you want uprated 6x4's you will have to cut out some plastic from the supports to fit the bigger magnets, or you may even have problems fitting some above the suspension turrets, measure before buying :)

Lanzar Neo's fit in perfectly without cutting anyplastic and are VERY good speakers. However they are a little pricey!

You want to aviod cutting any plastic out as it makes them weak and vibrate with the sound!

Cheers for the replies. Yeah i am just really looking to upgrade all the factory speakers without really cutting the car about to much.

I think it has everthing standard from new including what looks to be an ancient Sony tape player. A one of the dash speakers does not work, the doors pods dont work (but i have not even looked to see if there are speakers in them!) and the remainder that do work sounds pants!

:)

Cheers for the replies. Yeah i am just really looking to upgrade all the factory speakers without really cutting the car about to much.

I think it has everthing standard from new including what looks to be an ancient Sony tape player. A one of the dash speakers does not work, the doors pods dont work (but i have not even looked to see if there are speakers in them!) and the remainder that do work sounds pants!

early 16v wont have door speakers, just grotty 1 way 4" jobbies in the dash

Cheers David.

It looks like it has speaker pods in the doors though so is it fairly easy/worth fitting them to the front doors?

they are 4" in the dash then, that was my next question! 8)

Is there any easy way at getting to the dash speakers? i cant see any way or prising the grill's off and dont wanna damage them!

Appreciate your help and sorry about all the questions, it was all a load easier on my old mk2 gti! :oops:

Cheers

Martin

Ive got all the std speakers if u want them. Also, im selling after market door card speakers(alpine with tweeters) pioneer 6x9s in rear stealth shelf etc etc

Cheers David.

It looks like it has speaker pods in the doors though so is it fairly easy/worth fitting them to the front doors?

they are 4" in the dash then, that was my next question! 8)

Is there any easy way at getting to the dash speakers? i cant see any way or prising the grill's off and dont wanna damage them!

Appreciate your help and sorry about all the questions, it was all a load easier on my old mk2 gti! :oops:

Cheers

Martin

gently prise/squeeze the dash speaker covers off with your fingers, there's four lugs holding them into the dash but they should pop out with just a bit of pulling at the sides.

Door speakers aren't that easy to fit as the door card has to come off and you need to find the screw heads under the backing foam on the card that hold the door pocket on from the back. To remove the grilles (which you need to do before removing the door card as there's a screw holding the card to the door underneath), put a flat screwdriver into the flat holes at the leading edge of the grille and very gently bend the screwdriver handle away from the door card, this will bend the lug very slightly and allow you to edge the grille forwards a mm or so , once both lugs are past their locking point the grille will just slide off.

Ive got all the std speakers if u want them. Also, im selling after market door card speakers(alpine with tweeters) pioneer 6x9s in rear stealth shelf etc etc

Shame the parcel shelf is cream really my interior is all black. Will have a think about the speakers and let you know tho mate (based on what i have been told just gotta decide whether its worth trying to wire up the door pods or not!)

cheers

Martin

gently prise/squeeze the dash speaker covers off with your fingers, there's four lugs holding them into the dash but they should pop out with just a bit of pulling at the sides.

Door speakers aren't that easy to fit as the door card has to come off and you need to find the screw heads under the backing foam on the card that hold the door pocket on from the back. To remove the grilles (which you need to do before removing the door card as there's a screw holding the card to the door underneath), put a flat screwdriver into the flat holes at the leading edge of the grille and very gently bend the screwdriver handle away from the door card, this will bend the lug very slightly and allow you to edge the grille forwards a mm or so , once both lugs are past their locking point the grille will just slide off.

Cheers again David, you have been a great help! 8)

Any recommendations for good quality/value dash speakers?

Oh god, good luck getting them out mate, theyre a pain in the ar~e.

Oh god, good luck getting them out mate, theyre a pain in the ar~e.

lol cheers. The sound i currently get from the dash ones aint too bad, its just one of them keeps coming on and off. I have checked the connections and they seem ok but if you move the wires behind the head unit one of them goes on and off. The wires where cable tied very tightly so dunno if this has caused a break inside the wire?

...Any recommendations for good quality/value dash speakers?

a lot of people seem to go for components, 5.25" in the doors and tweeters in the dash, I've got a set of infinity's like that with the cross overs buried under the dash, but you really need a sub to get a nice overall sound going this way. 5.25's are pretty small by most cars standards these days, hence the audioscape door pods that a lot of C owners go for. Put some brown bread or dynamat or similar in the inside of the outer door skin of the doors though, makes a big difference to sound, solid feel of door and overall reduction in road noise. There's only one little pad in there from the factory.

I found the dash covers come off ok if you really squeeze inwards and pull up one corner first, try each corner as one usually pops up more easily than the others.

I have some as new Alpine SXE 6x4 speakers 3 months use- drop straight into the rear of a corrado no cutting needed, and much improved sound. £20 to your door. PM if interested - I prob wont check back here.

You need to save most of your ICE budget for front speakers anyway as these are the ones you listen to most.