Sign in to follow this  
marcus

peugot 106 gti ?

My female friend is looking to buy one this week, weve looked at a couple and they seem to me like fairly good, smart and sporty cars for the money.

Has anyone had any expeience with these, good or bad?

Well when i used to own my fiesta zetec-s a few people from our forum went over to 106 GTI's and they really liked them, they are very nippy with 130bhp and weighing as much as my little toe and handle superbly. Being french they are not made brilliantly but in general seem like great little cars!

mate quite funny this my mate said really nice one on piston heads at the mo he's always looking for them!

really good little cars bloody quick and handle well! my mates on his 4th this ones yellow and hes done some head work and that its pushing 145bhp and it beats my vr drag up to 80!

Defo get one he hasnt really had to many problems with any of his we only changed an alternator and pads other than that we've put suspension on every one! they are good though mate only thing id say is check the seats all his later style interior ones the 1/2 leather seem to wear quite quickly!

the yellow ones seem to command a higher price but also hold there price so have a look around he brought his 3rd red one for only £1450! but paid about £3500 for his current yellow one!

too much the Chav/Chavette image for me...........meant to be pocket rockets tho........make sure its all HPI clear tho :wink:

Thanks. I would usually advise her against a peugot, but its her choice!. it is her 2nd car too and will be the quickest thing has owned (always had a 1.0 old fiesta) so hoping she will be sensible in it -i didnt realise theyre 130bhp LOL.

Iow_corrado_g60 - £1450 is a cracking price (depending on the condition of course) the ones weve looked at so far are 2700 -3400??? Silver seems to be popular too? Going to look at a red one tonight?

Has your mate had to change many cambelts on them? and at roughly what mileage?

Nice new Golf by the way!

BTW the standard Puggit 106 GTi only gives out 120 bhp at 6600 rpm and 109 lb ft of torque at 5200 rpm. It also uses the same engine as the *hitroen Paxo VTS (1.6 16v (1587 cc) DOHC). You can get them to approx. 175 BHP (still NA, cams, headwork, exhaust / manifold, rechip) for £1400 extra, and they are actually real little fliers, good roadholding and handling, but very light and not sure I would want to be in one in an accident....

Lot of pocket rocket for the money though and pretty reliable / cheap to run, although little expensive to insure as the compnaies know they are loved by boy-racers et al. You can get them supercharged / turbocharged to approx. 230-250BHP (from standard engine spec) for £2500-£3000. Or with above work done, you may see 280BHP.........which my mate is running in one that frequents Crail Raceway etc.

Oh, and the 205 GTi 1.9 8v will go straight in, similarly will the Mi16 engine outta the BX GTi 16v / 405 and also the GTi6 outta the 306, if she is into big power. Also don't pass-up on the 106 Rallye, also great little cars and cheaper to buy / insure than GTi. Cambelts should be changed at approx, 70k, if not done, get it done ASAP and budget for it when haggling any price etc.

Cheers and HTH

Thanks Bigtartan- i had no idea of the tuning potential on those , i wont be passing the info on to her..shel prob end up going for more power, shes still got 4000.00 left LOL. :shock: .

Weve just got back from buying at one -she paid 3200.00 for it and is really pleased- its had the cambelt done. lowered 40mm, induction kit and quickshift. got 75.000 on the clock- she picks it up friday, diablo red!

saves her spending out on mods now. except wheels!

Hopefully she wont be keeping up with my VR....although i'll soon be posting up next week if she does :x

BTJ, All good info there apart from the Mi16 and 205 Gti engines..

I've into pugs for years and know the engines inside out. The 106GTi engine is strange. They used different engine mounts for that engine than most common pug engines.. Transplants are very uncommon anyway due to the power you can get out of them.

I've seen an Mi16'd 106 GTi but bang for buck it wasn't worth it. Lots of engine mount fabrication and nightmare engine loom. Had to run tb's IRC.

I've never seen and XU1900 (205 Gti) engined 106, it wouldn't be worth putting a poor engine design with a single cam 8v that struggles to make more than 180bhp at full tune including forged pistons and high compression, into a car with an engine that will get that without bottom end work.

If you go forced induction that go for a supercharger. I've seen a few that have done very well and seem reliable. I think I've seen a dozen turbo'd 106 GTi's and very few made good power and had some reliabilty.. most were a liability!

Great cars though...

Would look great with (my wish list)

16" Speedline Turini's in gunmetal and 195/40 continental tyres

Skip Brown suspension (Bilstein and SBC springs)

Peugeot Sport exhaust and ram air

286 Piper cams

Flowed and ported head

4 branch supersprint manifold

flowed inlet with bigger TB

That would be a quick car!

Yeah man, agreed, never said one should go and put one of these engines in tho, just that they would fit in physically (of course would need mounts fabricated etc) !

;-)

Cheers

You said "the 205 GTi 1.9 8v will go straight in". It seems that it will, but it'll fall straight out of the bottom.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Awesome cars, I think they nearly won a ECOTY years back. I had a VTR which is obviously similar and it was a hoot to drive.