Sign in to follow this  
Yash

Fuel Pump housing leak

Hi,

My car has failed its MOT because of a leak from the "fuel pump area". I have taken a look under the car and it is dripping a very small amount from the yellow circle below. It looks like its originating from the red circle. Am i right in thinking that I need to order a new fuel pump case (vag part 535 201 043). From looking at the case its gonna be a pig of a job to do, all the screws and fuel line bolts are corroded. Think im gonna be needing lots of plusgas and patience.

It's very unlikely you'll need a new fuel pump, so long as it's pumping. Leaks from there are pretty common and my Corrado was the same when I got it.

The pump is retained by a plastic collar held on with three course-threaded screws. If you remove the collar you'll find a big green O-ring seal in there. My bet is if you clean the surfaces and replace the seal you'll fix the problem. Be careful when refitting the plastic collar as the screws screw straight into the plastic housing.

If that's a pic of your fuel pump assembly above (although I suspect it's not from the wording in your post) then it'll be a piece of cake to do; literally a five minute job. It's a bit more of a bugger on the car for obvious reasons and it'll be a good idea to clamp as many fuel pipes as you can before you disconnect everything.

When I did the job on mine I broke some of the fittings because they were just solid rust. I was unable to get good replacement pipes quickly, so I went to Pirtek and they made some flexible pipes with the correct fittings while I waited...for a tenner all in. Bargain. Three years on and I've had no problems since.

Change the fuel filter while you're down there!

you can remove the pump from the plastic housing it sits in,it will have a gauze filter inside,but if the plastic casing is leaking from the seam then its no good and you will need to get a new one.

There is also a rubber seal were the pump slots in from the front.

Is that your pump in the pic as it looks in very good condition.

Part No for housing 535 201 043.

thanks for the fast responses, its not my set-up in the pic, its a pic i found on here, its too cold, dark and wet outiside to be taking pictures under the car.

so you guys reckon its not the housing but maybe the seal. Im pretty sure its not leaking from the seam but from plastic collar. Is it also worth replacing the strainer while i've got the pump out or can that just be cleaned? Is the seal I need part number N 902 238 02?

Here's an exploded diagram of what you're up against, highlighting the O-ring seal. The strainer is almost guaranteed to be spotless.

* EDIT *

I see you already have access to the parts database...lol

thanks bcstudent, guess thats gonna be a fun job for saturday morning.

*Edit*

I dont have access, was searching earlier and found an old post (think it may have been one of yours) with that diagram in it. Has been very helpful, i never new the fuel pump set-up was so complex.........need to source a copy of the parts database as some point. Saying that i think most pages are posted on this forum. lol

I bought the new seal (£6.60 for a seal is ridiculous), managed to get the fuel line off the fuel pump easily, screws also came off relatively easily. Took out the fuel pump, cleaned the sieve, put the new seal on the pump, put everything back together, started the car up and no leak. I was so happy everything went so well.

However, after leaving the car running for a few minutes i noticed petrol starting to drip again from the same area. So I tightened the screws a little more. started the car up, it was fine for about 2-3 minutes then it started to leak again. Tried to tighten the screws a little more but there’s no way they are tightening up anymore. Started the car again and it was exactly the same, was fine for the first 2-3 minutes then it starts to drip. I also noticed that its dripping from around where one of the fuel lines (circled) goes into the housing.

Anybody got any ideas? Do I need a new pump housing? or could the return valve be blocked? The car runs fine so petrol is running smoothly to the engine, the housing just doesn’t seem to be able to cope with the pressure.

This is now sorted. Ended up being the fuel pump housing. There was a crack at the top of housing and fuel was leaking down around the seal making it look like it was leaking from there.