Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Couple of 9A 16v engine questions

Was having a poke around the engine bay and noticed two things:

1. Down inbetween the bits on top of the metering head there is a kind of red plastic screw. What is this for? Does it adjust the mixture? If so, which way do you turn it?

2. This white plastic tube was loose, so I attached it to the side of the airbox again. What's the significance of this part? What happens if it's unplugged? Any effect on mpg?

Cheers!

Was having a poke around the engine bay and noticed two things:

1. Down inbetween the bits on top of the metering head there is a kind of red plastic screw. What is this for? Does it adjust the mixture? If so, which way do you turn it?

2. This white plastic tube was loose, so I attached it to the side of the airbox again. What's the significance of this part? What happens if it's unplugged? Any effect on mpg?

Cheers!

don't fiddle with (1) I think it's factory set and the ecu should take care of mixture.

(2) should be the vacuum pipe that opens the air flap in the lower half of the air box to let warm air in from around the exhaust manifold for warm up when the weather is cold

The red plastic thing is an anti-tamper bung that prevents you from getting to the mixture screw on the air-flap arm in the airbox. You shouldn't have to adjust this as it's just a course base setting; the ECU trims the mixture via a differential pressure regulator on the right-hand side of the metering head (under that cover). However, if you do need to adjust it, turning it clockwise enriches the mixture by changing the height of the plunger in the metering-head.

With regards to "Number 1" on Cazza16v's Diagram, there is no screw on my car, its looks like a screw is missing?

What should I do?

depending on the metering head and whether or not the anti-tamper cap is still in place, some just have a hole, others a metal tube sticking up, but all are adjusted by inserting a long 3mm allen key, so you won't see anything like a screw head visible.

Don't mess with the 3-mm screw under the bung; it is a sketch to reset meaning a VAG adapter wiring harness, a sensitive multimeter capable of reading under 200Ma and VAG-COM to set it in basic adjustment mode.