Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Coilovers for cost

Ok, so i've purchased my new wheels, and i've decided upon which tyres to get (Pirelli P zero nero), so next on the shopping list is coilovers.

I have a budget of approx. £400, but if i were to stretch that to £500 and notice a considerable difference in quality then i would be willing to do so. So, formy budget, what do people recommend? Are the Supersport ones any good? As there is a set of ebay for £350.

All help appreciated.

Chris.

Ive said it before, and ill say it again! Weitecs are very good, although at the higher end of your budget, i would say they are worth it.

give Darren a call!

Ive had alot of people recommend the Weitec GT's aswell. Think the best price i found was around £450, so im guessing these would be worth saving for?

I am going to join in this thred if you dont mind because i am in exactly the same boat as you skinnyman :lol: I also have a budget of around £400-£500 but want comfy ish coilovers that also handle very well and have a good drop. Bendy has Avo's on his which are around £550 iirc and i followed him the other day and it was flat on bends and looked the nuts!

Rob.

I've seen some FK highsports for £300 2nd hand, i know they are £500 brand new, which is only slightly more than the Weitecs. I suppose the good thing with getting new ones is the warrenty on them, which 2nd hand ones won have. So its between the FK Highsports and the Weitec GT's for me at the min

i bought some supersport coilovers for my mk 3 golf a couple of yrs back, the drop was immense and went as low as i could possible ever need and they are only £300 from venom motorsport at the moment, (probabally without VAT) BUT!!!, whilst it handled real good, the ride was SOOO uncomfortable and as im sure u are aware at this price they are not fully adjustabe and it has made driving the car (which i still have if anyone wants to buy it, optimistic after this comment i know) a bit of an effort..so i reckon something with a bit more comfort is well worth the money...wish i had spent that bit more..just my opinion though!

Dont forget you 5% discount from us and our Suspension/Top mount deal we have on at the moment :lol:

I've got highsports and really don't rate them, don't get me wrong they're great if you want it slammed to the floor and the handling's great, but the ride is too bumpy for my (and a lot of passengers) liking. IMHO you're better off saving up for ones that have adjustable damping, getting jarred over small bumps and acquiring even more interior rattles soon loses its appeal.

steve_16v, couldnt agree with u more, had the same problem with my supersports! adjustable damping all the way!!!

You dont need adjustable damping, You just need a good set up.Some of the best coilovers i have experianced have fixed damping but the differance is they use decent dampers and spring rates..

Just my opinion obviously. Darren

no, fair point..but u have to agree that the cheaper 'budget' sets wont give you that and will be uncomfortable?? well u dont have to agree but..

i had weitec coilovers. (ive been through 2 sets) they are good but the ride is very hard. the last ones i had seized up so i got kw,s off darren in the summer. the car sits lower now than it did on the weitecs and the ride is much better.

Where is the best place to get FK AK's from? These are FK's budget suspension but they aren't that bad really. Karl (KADVR6) has them on his charged vr and i had a go in it and they seemed pretty good, bit crashy but handled very well!

Rob.

Think venom are doing the ak's for £250 at the moment. Only major downside ive found with them is the threaded tube isnt stainless so cover it in copper grease or bike chain lube and cover it with a bag and a couple of ties either end.

Gav

Just noticed on Venom that the AK's are not coilovers both front and back. Is this the case? Looks like i may have to budget for Highsports after all!