Sign in to follow this  
LumVR6

New wheels-9"?????

Hey there, sorry if this has been covered before, but i'm a bit off a noob on Corrado's.

I've got a VR6 and i'm fortunate enough for the misses to be getting me some new wheels for B'day/Crimbo! Wahooooo!!!!

I've found some Rial wheels through work that I can get for a very reasonable price. They do 17x8 and 17x9" rims.

Obviously I would love to hve 9's all round but what would they ride like-if at all possible?

I'm lowering 35mm on standard shocks to keep a reasonable ride-been there and done it on coilies on other cars and I can't be arsed with the harsh ass ride any more-God I must be getting old! :shock:

Would I be able to get 9's on it at all or would I have to settle for 8's all round-or could I even get 9 rear 8 front?

Ultimately I want 9 all round if it will go with out gettin out the angle grinder. :roll:

What offsets and what tyre size, as they are gonna have to stretch on too.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Calum

There are stacks of threads on tyre size etc. Try the search, you'll find what your looking for.

You might want to look into getting 16's instead of the 17's though, you get a better ride... although that varies on who you talk to :)

Oh... and welcome to the forum buddy.

- Ross

IMO 9" wide rims on a 35mm lowered rado wont look right, i have 9x16's and lowered 40mm (i think its lower at the front) and mine looks ok but it needs to be lower to get the proper look. 16's will give you a better ride and with stretched 40 profile tyres will give the same radius as standard wheels so your speedo wont be out. If you want 17's then you might be better of with the 8" wide ones as otherwise you will get some serious catching, i think you may still need to get the angle grinder out whichever one you go for tbh. I have rolled my front arches and grinded the rears and it doesnt catch now.

As for offsets mine are et15 on the back (stick out past the arches) and et30 on the front (but as they are 16's they didnt fit over the caliper carriers so i had to grind some away). If you go for 8x17's then id day et30 would be safe.

Here's some pics 8)

Rob.

sweet pics rob, wondered when they would appear!! lol 17's and a 35mm drop will look like a beach buggy imo but if your keeping ur arches standard then i would go withs the 8's all round et15's at the back and a et30 at the front. depending on the style of wheel as well you may still have clearence issue's with the calipers. i do on mine (blue 1 in the pic's above) there a et30 with 3mm shims on so a et27 and a fairly flat face and had to remove some bits off the caliper.

hth

ben

Pretty sure its Dentons old car there was a PVW feature wearing wide 16" RS splits.

Bendy, your raddo looks too phat, need some more pics deffo!

cheers young dub cant take the credit tho, like osv said it was steve denton's (premier's) old car and it was on porka rs's for the feature, there a few pic's in my gallery. i'll add some more when i get some more!! cr4p weather at the mo

Are the fronts deffo et30 Rob? :shock:

I always thought you had to go for et15 all round? but looking at the pics (very minty btw 8) ) et15's on the front would stick out a mile no? :shock:

Neil.

Yeah I remember the feature and I have a few pics of it from Xtreme which was held in ally pally. There weren't many pics in the feature though( not as many as I would have liked to see), but I wanted to see some new up to date pics as I like the changes you have done ( wheels 8) )

Have you done anything under the bonnet to tidy it up a bit?

They do look sweet mate!

Cheers for the input.

I've ordered my wheels which are:

http://swtyres.co.uk/wheels/asa/ar1

in 17x8's which are turning up on monday so i'm proper exited!

running 205/40/17 Toyo's

Just got to decide on the suspension now.......

hmmmm...

Decisions decisions :norty:

Are the fronts deffo et30 Rob? :shock:

I always thought you had to go for et15 all round? but looking at the pics (very minty btw 8) ) et15's on the front would stick out a mile no? :shock:

Neil.

Hell yes they stick out mate :shock: As i mentioned the et30's dont fit straight on without grinding some of the caliper carriers away (sounds bad but its basically just take a few mil off and giving it an angle) so when i first got the wheels i ran the et15's on the front and it didnt look right, they stuck out far too much and caught like a b!tch!! Its much better now with the et30's on the front and the arch lips rolled up it doesnt catch one bit and you still get the 'wedge' shape with the et15's on the back :D

Oh also Neil that pic above for some reason it does look like the fronts stick out a mile :shock: must be the angle or the steering ever so slightly turned. In the metal they sit in more than that, the stretch of the tyre just sticks out of the arches where as et15's the whole fcuking wheel sticks out :lol:

Rob.

Cheers Rob :D

And there's me on the search for et15's all round :? :shock:

So everyone tends to go et30 up front then with 9x16? i never realised :oops:

Im not sure about everyone else, i got these wheels off Bendy so i just done what he done lol. When i was doing searches for people running 9's all round they seemed to have et15's all round but as i said it doesnt look right, the fronts stick out far too much and you would need to pretty much cut the whole arch off to stop scrubbing!! I had to 'shave' some of my caliper carrier off to fit these but that could just be the design of the spokes, other wheels might fit over the carriers fine with et30 :? :lol:

Good luck with your search anyway mate :lol:

Rob.

Yeah they my old wheels riley, but i reckon et15 would be out to far on the front. having seen robs with the et15's up front i know its wrong. they just stick out 2 much, like 2 cms out of the arch. looks silly and you would chew ya tyre's up something rotten!!! but with g60's and valvers it may be diff. best to ask someone with 9's on the front with one of them cars what there running etc etc

Yeah I remember the feature and I have a few pics of it from Xtreme which was held in ally pally. There weren't many pics in the feature though( not as many as I would have liked to see), but I wanted to see some new up to date pics as I like the changes you have done ( wheels 8) )

Have you done anything under the bonnet to tidy it up a bit?

nope still the same under the bonnet, bar it getting cleaned every now and again. and a scuttle cover, oh and some lupo wipers, out side just the wheels, new suspension, rear strut brace and some arb's and bushes to go on at some point!! maybe a new engine when funds allow!! :twisted: