Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

after advice on buying tool chest

I'm on the search for a tool chest, traditional red, blue, black, whatever, don't really mind - and It's for home, DIY car use.

What I'm after is something that's going to last and I can keep my ever growing sets of sockets, ratchets, spanners etc in.

I'm not after a rolling cabinet yet, but would like something along the lines of a cabinet top box, big enough for a fair few tools but not so big I can't hump it into the car boot occasionally.

Halfords stuff looks OK, that's the only kit I've really had a good look over close up, but I have no idea whether ball bearing runners are really worth it, all I know is I don't want cheap and nasty and Snap-On would be overkill. Something around 100-150 quid perhaps?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

David.

Screwfix might be worth a look. They do all sorts of gear like this.

If youre getting gear from Halfords and you know someone with a trade card you get a healthy discount..

just had quick spadge on screwfix direct, they've got a stanley mobile tool chest with a detachable tool box that sits on top for £69.99.

http://www.screwfix.com click on hand tools scroll down then click on tool storage. hope this helps?

would send a link but i'm a numpty!

Screwfix might be worth a look. They do all sorts of gear like this.

If youre getting gear from Halfords and you know someone with a trade card you get a healthy discount..

I buy all sorts of rubbish from screwfix, great 'on the bog reading' but I'm a bit dubious about the quality of some of their kit, not being able to see it in the flesh, Halfords Professional range does look good though.

there's a few US PRO and Sealey items on e-bay, but have no idea how good they are.

I just bought a 3 drawer top box from ebay really cheap (£25).

I've not got loads to store, but thought it would be handy to keep everything in one place.

the seller was marketsormy and he has an ebay shop, so worth looking >here.

I can't comment on the quality as I only bought it this week, and haven't recieved it yet.

hope this helps :)

I got me one of These

They do a slightly cheaper one too, I found it on machine mart (have a goose if there's one near you, you might even be able to go and look), then bought it on ebay cheaper. Quality is pretty good for the price and it looks sweet when loaded up with tools. The bottom cupboard is really handy for chucking stuff in like angle grinders, crowbars and maahussive torque wrenches.

It's certainly not gonna fall to bits any time soon, only things I did was stick some of those soft pads for protecting floors in some stratigic places to stop the odd rattle, and put some non slip material at the bottom of each drawer.

anyone who's tried rolling one of those things on concrete without that stuff will know how deafening it can get :lol:

Edit: Sorry, just re-read your post properly, they do some nice top boxes too :wink:

Hi David,

I've got 3 of the Halfords Pro ones which are superb but they changed them about a year ago and the new ones are not as solid as before...

The new ones are more pink in colour (think of old tornado red vs new) and metal is thinner and not as rigid which will make a difference when loaded up.

Ball bearing runners a deffo worth having - you need to feel the difference but also imagine them loaded up with heavy tools...

Sealey are very good and that is what VW use but I have just bought a new 9 drawer Clarke one from Machine Mart which I reckon would suit you down to the's ground, it's a CBI190 I think and was £140 and comes in a VW type blue but they do a red one which is about £20 cheaper...

Quality is very high and will take alot of weight in the drawers, the Blue one that I have also has this black finish on the front and comes with tool lables for the drawer handles...

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.as ... 3213&g=108

The bigger ones come with hydraulic lifters...