Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

dummy Q... Stereo fitting

Right have finally decided to sort out the botch job the "professional" monkeys :onfire: did when fitting my Sony (and to actually wire the damn thing uoproperly so it 's memory works) so it actually stays in the dash when I accelerate...

Q is: Is there a way of getting to the back to sort out all the wiring nice and neat? Mines all shoved behind the stereo and I can't get it to sit right behing the fan controls etc.. ?

IIRC There's a way to get to it from the side but I can't see how? :scratch:

Sorry it's a stupid Q to most but I don't want to go hacking about at the dash if tehre's an easy way.. Cheers.

I think the easiest method is to wire it up from the front as normal, then remove the passenger side dash undertray so you can guide the cables neatly as you push the stereo into the dash.

And the glovebox too, though it's an inexplicably tight fit in mine and removal may involve copious swearing.

Last time I attempted to remove a VW glovebox I ended up with a fairly hefty cut to the hand and a tasty scar. I avoid contact with them now!

i take my glove box out al the time recently :mad: its a bit fiddly but its do-able without any cuts on hands, have you guys taken off the bottom undertray too, makes it a lot easier.

wiring is all messy behind mine too, i dont think there is a way of having it all neat and tidy, my stereo barely fits tbh and most of the wiring is either side of the stereo, most towards the glovebox.

The memory problem is due to the 2 live wires being the wrong way round. There should be a constant live for memory but this is obviously switched on yours, as it was on both my C;s and the Mrs Goof.

This is exactly what i've been trying to do! can't get the glovebox out so i'll try the lower tray tomorrow.

Anyone have any idea which wires are ignition live and permanent live?

IIRC one is all brown and one is brown with a white stripe... but i can't remember which is which. :oops:

mic_VR, keep me updated with how that goes, I didn't get to the stereo in the end this weekend, going to try and get to it this (if it stops raining)

Any-one got a wiring diagram to post up for this area so I know what wires I need to swap please?

on the aftermarket sony there will be a yellow wire and red wire coming off the deck. If they just just switched those will putting it in you should be able to switch each one back and it will work fine :)

Finally had a chance to get back on the interweb after fitting my headunit on weds morning,

Turns out that both wires in the vw loom, perm live and ignition live, are the same colour, both brown..... nice to see that efficient german logic in action! :lol:

Anyway, corradokid is right, got a multi meter on it and simply a case of swapping the yellow(perm) and red(acc) wires over in the loom on the new head unit. jobs a good-un.

When I did mine, I think I spent about a day upside down in the foot well, with most of the dash off, trying to make enough space to get all the wiring in. Obviously VW didn't bank on people fitting auto changers, subs, crossovers etc. Silly them! final solution was to batter the head unit in , till it clicked into its locks. If I ever try to remove it, its gonna fire out the back window!

My Sony's pretty much whay was the factory optional CD changer anyway. But still can't get the bl88dy wiring to fit! :grr: I'm getting tired of the head unit being:

a/ half inch at best hanging out the dash

b/ trying to join me in driving when I accellerate hard...

Yeah i got the lower tray off and loosened off the glovebox. Then it was like storm monkey said, get in the footwell and try and make as much room as possible.

Probably easier to get the glovebox out all together but it just would not move, i've heard its a case of brute force and ignorance to get them out and i didn't fancy braking mine.

vwdviant, have you tried cable tying together the wires into one big lump and then feeding the whole lot down between the centre airvent and the glovebox, not a great deal of room but then you can feed the remaining cables over the lower shelf and down the pasenger side and into the boot (assuming thats where you've got you changer?!)