Sign in to follow this  
TomD

I'm about to torch my G60...not so urgent now!!

Hi All!

Really need some help to fix my C!

Last saturday I fitted a milltek decat pipe to my corrado in place of the old custom one.

Swapped it over ok, and took it for a test drive. Was going nicely, sounded good etc.

But then it lost all power. pulled over, had to get the AA out etc.

Anyway, turned out the fuel pump fuse had blown. Swapped it, half a mile down the road it blows again. Eventually limp home after sticking a 25A fuse in it (its supposed to be a 20A)

So the AA man and I agree its probably the fuel pump thats knackered, furry muff, its managed 175k on its original one.

After speaking to Vince at stealth (very helpful by the way....thanks very much! :) ) I ordered a late VR fuel pump from GSF, and a Fuel pump relay from VW.

The pump arrived today so fitted it this evening, and took the car for a drive.

But it happened again. You can here the fuse blow every time, took me ages to travel the mile back home and about 5 fuses.

So what can I have done to my poor cars wiring by changing the centre section of the exhaust??? That's the only thing I can think is causing it.

Changing the exhaust is also the only thing I did that saturday, and it was fine before.

The only wiring I touched was the Lambda sensor.

I really need to use the car tomorrow morning, so any pearls of wisdom are very very welcome!

Thanks in advance!!!

Tom :x

I know this sound crazy, but I had the same problem and it turned out to be the upgraded headlight loom. The relay(metal cased) had got wet and shorted to the body work, causing the fuel pump fuse to blow. I have no idea why this was happening, but only found it by chance.

Ok, that sounds likely if its on the same circuit!

I'll have a good look and see if its the cause! :)

Cheers guys!

Is it likely I'll have to replace the wiring and the lambda sensor? Is it possible to buy them new? Or a case of making sure the wires are insulated?

Ok I've had a quick look this morning and I can see a small split in one of the wires coming from the the taped up loom part, going to the plug above the plug not below it.

I'll insulate that tonite and then see what happens!

Sorry though guys, can't see how it would be crimped under the exhaust, the wiring goes straight up towards the engine bay. Only other thing I can think of it being is I haven't run the wiring through the right way and its getting squashed around the ARB/ subframe etc!

Cheers again guys! :)

Ok...

Taped up the split in the wire I found.

Another test drive.

Still does it.

So I'm thinking its either the wiring further down around the lambda sensor, Or I've buggered the lambda sensor itself.

Anyway, I'm not going to have time to take the lambde back out and look at all the wiring, so...

If I was to unplug the lambda sensor, would that stop the shorting???

I'm sure I've seen some people on here don't even run them at all. I ran out of 20A fuses on the last test drive, so to get me the last 200 metres home, I unplugged the lamda sensor plug behind the block (mandatory burn on hand from manifold, obviously!) And stuck a 15A one in.

Now I thought that if it was going to short it would do it straight away, but it got me home.

Would this cure the problem for now?? CAn't really risk any more test drives tonite! :)

Ah - just re-read it, I reckon the heater wiring in the probe loom is shorting...

Do you know which one that is? And so if I unplugged the plug behind the block, taped it all up and secrued it, it would run ok and not short out every 5 minutes?

If it means anything, it doesnt seem to do it until the engines warmed up a bit.

Hi!

Thanks very much for your help with the lambda probe/fuel pump fuse etc!

Is there a fair chance that it'll cure the shorting problem if I disconnect the lambda probe for the time being and make sure its all taped up?

I've run out of 20A fuses now and an wandering if I'll make it down to halfords before the next fuse goes! :)

Cheers Again, sorry for being a bit of a nooob, corrado's are still new to me!! Ask me anything about a Mk2 Golf 8v gti!

Tom

Woohoo!

It works! Risked it and took it down to halfords on the last 20A fuse I had...the one for the heated rear windscreen! :oops:

Thanks Supercharged, and everyone else! :)