Sign in to follow this  
cata

Schrick Big Valve Head

Surely they're low geared to get them to rev high because thats where the power is? High revs?

not exactly the fact that the engine revs very high and makes good power at high revs allows the use of shorter gear ratios that multiply the torque more and make the car accelerate faster the ratios are matched to the engine characteristics thats why a big ol v8 (and turbo diesels) that makes huge torque at low revs and doesnt rev has very long gearing compared to a high revving smaller capacity motor

compare my vr6 with a civic type r 4th gear on the vr is almost identical to 6th on the civic my vr revs to 6800 rpm (raised limiter) and does 132 mph on the clock whereas the civic revs to 8200 rpm! which means 150 mph + with the same gear ratio

if you could fit a ctr box to a vr6 it would be an absolute missile but the top speed would be 130 mph lol

iv only seen 1 vtec torque graph (bhp graphs tell you sod all) and the vtec kick is a con lol the torque actually drops 5 lb ft or so THEN gives a sudden 10 ish lb ft gain (thats the kick you feel) your actually only gaining about 5 lb ft lol but it FEELS quick the diffrent cam profile means it starts to tail off at 5500 ish but does so quite gracefully so it doesnt feel like its dropping

I've seen a 2.9 with VGI + BV head + 268s + remap make 238hp with 244lb/ft torque.

Hmm, that wouldn't be on a car previously owned by a certain double-barelled gent who now drives an M5, would it? :)

Yeah that's him! Can't find his old website though.... I'm pretty sure they were the figures, off the top of my head....I was impressed anyway!

Tony is long gone on the Corrado front, but I still occasionally bump into him on pistonheads.com where he posts as M-five. He's an M5 man through-and-through now but still speaks fondly of the Corrado.

As I recall he had a hell of a problem selling that car and let it go for a song in the end. To this day I regret not buying it from him, transferring all the choice mods to my own car and then selling his as stock. :(

(BTW, Kev YHM)