Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Help needed - locking wheel nut knackered

Crap day that has just got worse - appreciate any advice that can be given

Had my new suspension fitted to the Passat this morning so thought I'd fit the new wheels this afternoon.

After changing the first wheel, n/side front the locking wheel nut (standard VW) decided to crumble and strip the ridges of the bolt.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get this wheel nut off the hub?

Second problem is that although the wheel spun freely before I lowered the car back down to the ground its obvious that the new front wheel is catching on something as the car is now stuck solid. As the ridges in the locking wheel nut on this wheel has also been stripped of its ridges I'm totally screwed!.

this happened to me! try smacking on an old socket to the locking wheel nut then undo.if your nuts are super tight blob a bit of weld down the socket and then undo, had to do this to all four of my wheels because i lost my key.dohh!

Snap On make special tapered splined sockets for this job that when used with an impact gun will take most studs out. Any tyre place will normally have them.

Sorted - done as suggested and hammered a socket over said nuts

Wheels sorted as well - they are not catching, I yanked the handbrake on harder than its probably been on for years - the resistance I was meeting was the handbrake not releasing fully, brute force with accelerator and brake pedals freed it up

Please feel free to lock now