Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

HG question

Hi all,

Ok, ive posted a related problem on here already, however i now a bit more info as to what could be wrong.

Basically, when i bought the car it was down on power and the HG had been changed by VW in 2005. Seen as ive got a problem with the engine using oil the bloke i bought it off advised me to ring VW and find out if the HG was still under warrenty. SO.. i rang VW up and was told it isnt under warrenty anymore, also the previous owner to the bloke i bought it off was told that some work needed doing on the cylinder head or the HG will just keep failing (which he refused to be done), infact they said i needed a new one. My questions are, is it possible that VW didnt skim the cylinder head before putting the new HG on, thus the HG keeps on failing? Would VW skim the cylinder head when doing a HG change?

Ive read on here recently that you DO need to skim the cylinder head when fitting a new HG or this WILL cause the HG to keep failing?

AM i talking complete codswallop or is this making at least a bit of sense to anyone. Or is it something else thats the problem?

Cheers fellas!

I need to get back in touch with VW tbh and speak to a technician who'll be able to give me more details as to what is wrong with the cylinder head. The thing is there is no blue smoke suggesting HG failure, however the plugs are gunking up with oil. But i have been told by a trusted mechanic that it doesnt nec smoke until it gets worse.

the previous owner to the bloke i bought it off was told that some work needed doing on the cylinder head or the HG will just keep failing (which he refused to be done),

HG failure doesn't automatically mean the head needs to be skimmed.

A leaking gasket itself doesn't warp the head, secondary problems of overheating which arise from gasket failure do. Depends whether the gasket problem was spotted before any overheating occured, but judging by the above from previous owner #2, pretty much says that it did need skimming at thew time but he decided to risk not doing it.

Cheers for the reply Louie Lungbubble, how much would getting the HG skimmed be???

Probably a basic Q, but would this explain the use of oil and oiling up plugs??

Thanks mate

Dunno what a VR6 head will run to, but I was being told that for the 4 pot head skim was ITRO £60

As for it using oil, if the oil's not turned into mayonnaise, and the water aint got oil in, it could be the HG's letting oil into the cylinders and it being burned off that way.

Are you sure it's the head gasket and not valve seals that are letting oil escape, or even just a bog standard oil leak?

No its def not a normal leak. The plugs are getting oiled up which leads to misfiring. No mayo or oil in water. Sounds like its the valve seals. or possibly even the piston rings.

I recently rebuilt my motor with a Sharan HG and no skim, it didn't seal as I had a gas leak by number 1 cyl. Took it to bits again and there was no obvious reason for the leak but had it skimmed and this time used a Corrado gasket, everything's OK now. I don't believe the Sharan gasket was at fault, I just wasn't brave enough the second time! Anyway, a simple clean up skim of .008" cost me £28.44 inc VAT which compared with head bolts, gasket, stem seals etc was not much money. If you're doing a gasket, have it skimmed for peace of mind.

While the head is off the car id just get it skimmed also.

Kill as many birds with stone as you can.