Sign in to follow this  
gogsboy

Correct tyre pressures for Corrado VR6

Hope this is the correct place but wonder if someone could advise on what pressures my tyres should be at ideally.

It's a Corrado VR6 but has 17" wheels with 205/40's on them.

Any ideas, previous owner seems to have had them at 37 front and 30 rear.

:shock: They sound way too high!

There should be a sticker in passenger side door shut saying what the pressures should be, however IIRC, 30 fr and 28 rear sounds about right.

Too high and you'll just wear the tyres out quicker,,

i read the manual and the stickers and thats what i saw, i'll double check tonight tho

just checked mine on the (DRIVERS) door :lol:

36 on the front, and 32 on the rears (with a half load)

Wow that seems really high! Even my 2-tonne Saab recommended 32/30!

Will have to go and sort those at the weekend!

Dave how's the wheel refurb coming? Are you still on your Speedline rollerskates ;)

Speedline shopping trolley wheels for the foreseeable future, BigChris is A.W.O.L. in Germany at the moment :(

I run 30 front and 29 back with 205/40/17s on 8x17s. Mainly because im a bit of an old man when it comes to ride comfort. id take them up maybe 2psi for the track but then they got hot and increase anyway.

But for the road 30/29 works for me :-)

I run with 36psi front and 32 rear - although I think I've left my digital tyre pressure gauge in the road last time I did mine as went to check them at the weekend and can't find it! :cry:

I run 30 front and 29 back with 205/40/17s on 8x17s. Mainly because im a bit of an old man when it comes to ride comfort. id take them up maybe 2psi for the track but then they got hot and increase anyway.

But for the road 30/29 works for me :-)

Surely if standards are meant to be 36/32 or thereabout, 205's on 17's should be the same or slightly more.......or is that not the way to look at it.

Also when you say 30/29 works for you what sort of gauge is that checked on?

Will the tyre pressures need to change for stretched tyres at all? I am running 9's with 215/40's so what would be the best tyre pressure for me for some sort of comfort but without lazy steering?

i've always thought tyres pressures should be the same no matter what the tyre size, as it the same car, same weight being put on tyres, it may be less air but at the same pressure.

i'm not 100% on that, but is what i believe to be true

i've always thought tyres pressures should be the same no matter what the tyre size, as it the same car, same weight being put on tyres, it may be less air but at the same pressure.

Nope. 17s have much stiffer sidewalls and a larger contact patch, so don't need as much pressure as smaller tyres.

Tyres should be inflated to the optimum pressure that doesn't cause wear in the middle or outside edges, not the pressure that's on the door sticker, which is the pressure based on the factory fit tyres anyway.

As soon as you change the tyres for a different brand, all that goes out the window, even standard size.

Let the tyre tell you what pressure it should be at. You can just feel (and see) when they're at the optimum pressure and it's usually always 32psi front and 30 rear on VWs.

Manufacturers that quote unusually high pressures are just trying to improve the mpg figures for sales reasons.

So guess my fronts need let down a bit since they are at 37, which is what previous owner had them at.

Problem with the garage gauges they always seem to read about 3-4 PSI according to the gauge I use (ITC one)

Nope. 17s have much stiffer sidewalls and a larger contact patch, so don't need as much pressure as smaller tyres.

Tyres should be inflated to the optimum pressure that doesn't cause wear in the middle or outside edges, not the pressure that's on the door sticker, which is the pressure based on the factory fit tyres anyway.

As soon as you change the tyres for a different brand, all that goes out the window, even standard size.

Let the tyre tell you what pressure it should be at. You can just feel (and see) when they're at the optimum pressure and it's usually always 32psi front and 30 rear on VWs.

Manufacturers that quote unusually high pressures are just trying to improve the mpg figures for sales reasons.

Yup go with that I've just stuck "factory" pressure in the tyres on my valver and now booking myself into the dentist to get my fillings put back! The door quoted 38/33 half (ouch bang crash POTHOLE!) and something ludicrous like 41 for full!

Going back to 33/30 as soon as I can!