Sign in to follow this  
johnxl1s

battery charging

Ibought an old pickup (small one Diahastu), it was lying for two weeks mot'd and taxed, i am at present chargeing the battery, i had it on slow charge last night from 9pm until 7.30 this morning, i have filled it with water,(boiled then waited until cool),

I have it on fast charge this morning with the taps off,how long will it take until charged, using a ABSAAR charger with red orange and green light, which i do not know how it tells when it is charged, the water seems to nbe slightly bubbling a little bit.

thanks

john

also boiled and cooled tap water is not really suitable for a battery, it should be de-ionised filtered water which you can buy from halfords in a big bottle for next to nothing.

i had also heard some people use rain water to top batteries up, not sure why though?

it's filled now, boiled then cooled thenput into a chemistry bottle (pifon) to extract, so its no problem,

so about the charging?

thanks

john

I have Absaar charger somewhere, too.

As I recall, once the green light comes on you have charged the battery up enuf.

I found green light did not go really bright, though. I think others stay on, too.

As long as you got green, there should be enuf charge.

Yes, coolrado is right (again! - good to see not all young people hate science, as is widely reported today).

Boiling water does not remove, say, calcium/chalky minerals. Use distilled for your battery. Get a couple of litres from Halfrods - it is cheap and will last for years.

I think people used to use rainwater because much of it is pure and has been distilled naturally.

Since I saw a presentation about acid rain in relatively clean southeast Scotland many years ago, I would not use it in my batteries. The nasties that can be in it with some weather situations is staggering. Even the rain coming into a clean region like Cornwall can have a high sodium chloride (sea salt) content - many raincloud droplets use salt particles from sea spray as condensation nuclei.

In theory melted ice from the freezer should give quite pure water, but have you tasted it?!

Probably the taste is only due to a few parts/million of something like frozen mince. Yummy.