Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

looking for a substantially larger crank pulley

sooo guys, the AMG supercharger in my car is completely operational and running at 16 psi right now until I get the chip for 24 psi, just an update

but right now I am looking for a crank pulley that is about 6-7" and will work for a corrado, something VW preferably but I think I am going to end up making one if I cant find an easy solution. I will bolt the stock Vibration dampener and other pulley & gear for timing, what I really need to know is the inner diameter size of the hole in the stock corrado pulley and if anyone has one a picture of one.....

thanks guys

Im not looking for more boost, peak boost in a lysholm is 26.1 psi according to some guy from holland I just want the boost faster, Im looking at adding a turbo to the system for a twincharged setup but thats definitely a project for next year.

Hi Mate,

If you put a bigger crank pulley on wont that screw up the timing between the crank shaft and the camshaft? I thought with the stock pulley it was a ratio of 2:1 surely if you change the pulley size you will change that ratio and run the risk of valve meets piston type badness?

Dan

Hi Mate,

If you put a bigger crank pulley on wont that screw up the timing between the crank shaft and the camshaft? I thought with the stock pulley it was a ratio of 2:1 surely if you change the pulley size you will change that ratio and run the risk of valve meets piston type badness?

Dan

thats another pulley.

A Passat g60 runs a larger crank pulley ill dig you the part number out when i get on my pc with ekta

Darren,

Any idea why the passat 60 runs a larger pulley, is it to make up for the extra weight of the estate shell and rear doors? And if so is it a worth while mod for us C 60 owners? 8)

Its to compensate for the loss's caused to drive the aircon units on them. As all the passat g60's came with aircon as standard

Cool cheers Darren so next question is anyone on here running a C with a passat crank pulley? How much difference does it make and any drawbacks?

hey D,

I know the passat runs a larger pulley I have etka and know the part number but I am looking for a way bigger pulley. The passat is a whopping 3mm if I heard correct. Im looking for about 40-60mm. boost comes on quick in my car now but it would be nice if I didnt have the second and a half of lag.

speaking of cars how is your syncro dealy coming?

oh and I found out that if you try to bolt the supercharger to a bracket from 2 opposing directions you will temporarily seize the supercharger, only if they are too tight though. (bends the charger housing and creates a lock)

if you look at my pictures you will see what Im talking about, bolting on the intake side then bolting on the "mounting" side with the 2 large bolts doesnt work too well. so I dont think bolting your supercharger on by drilling and tapping holes in the body of the charger is the greatest idea. just something I ran into that I dont think you want to run into.

hey D,

"...oh and I found out that if you try to bolt the supercharger to a bracket from 2 opposing directions you will temporarily seize the supercharger, only if they are too tight though. (bends the charger housing and creates a lock)

if you look at my pictures you will see what Im talking about, bolting on the intake side then bolting on the "mounting" side with the 2 large bolts doesnt work too well. so I dont think bolting your supercharger on by drilling and tapping holes in the body of the charger is the greatest idea. just something I ran into that I dont think you want to run into."

This is a very interesting post! :?

hey D,

I know the passat runs a larger pulley I have etka and know the part number but I am looking for a way bigger pulley. The passat is a whopping 3mm if I heard correct. Im looking for about 40-60mm. boost comes on quick in my car now but it would be nice if I didnt have the second and a half of lag.

speaking of cars how is your syncro dealy coming?

oh and I found out that if you try to bolt the supercharger to a bracket from 2 opposing directions you will temporarily seize the supercharger, only if they are too tight though. (bends the charger housing and creates a lock)

if you look at my pictures you will see what Im talking about, bolting on the intake side then bolting on the "mounting" side with the 2 large bolts doesnt work too well. so I dont think bolting your supercharger on by drilling and tapping holes in the body of the charger is the greatest idea. just something I ran into that I dont think you want to run into.

I do seem to remember telling you about the siezing posibilites with your set up, Im glad you got it all sorted out now.

There is no way i would of thought you have to go that big on the crank pulley. Whats the ratio:rpm to the crank and what CFM is it capable of @ what Rpm. You could work out you pulley size then and i bet it dosent need to be alot bigger to make a dramatic differacnce.

~1.8 drive ratio I guess with a 75mm pulley on the charger and a 5.5" pulley? (standard G60) whatever that size is.

someone running it on a subaru wrx sti ran it at 512 cfm which is more than enough for me but it wont happen on my engine. looking at a WRX for pulley size tomorrow.

when any supercharged system obtains a pressure larger than the pressure the supercharger is putting out, for a lysholm its 26.1 psi, the air becomes stagnant air briefly while the engine eats more air. so when my car reaches 26.1 psi it doesnt go any higher, I get some pressure max's of 27.5 but thats just funky peaks. also these tests are on a closed loop system so there is no air escaping, just going into a chamber with a gauge on it.

sooo anyway, the way the car is right now it puts out 470 cfm@ 6k, good enough for me! but if I want the boost faster... lower rpms and such I get a larger pulley. yes it will move more air overall but until I get a big valve head, racing intake manifold, and porting I will obtain 26 psi and just stay there.

what is going to happen in less than a month is I am getting an electronic boost controller for a turbo system and putting it on there to bleed the boost out, I dont need 26 psi nor do I want 26 psi I have my gate valve thing set for 16 psi right now and its more than enough for the time being, yes I am still going to be running at 24 psi one of these days but I feel that since i dont have a diff (yes yes I know I know) I cant utilize the boost (can barely utilize it now).

say I have a 5.25" crank pulley... now at 2500 rpms, it gets into usable boost, say 225 cfms? now thats at 2500 rpms, I had to wait a while to get there right? currently I am bleeding off some boost... if I wanted the boost to be there sooner I could close the pool valve more and bleed less but it would raise max boost further.... dont want that.

now say I have a 6" maybe 6.5" crank pulley.... now at 1500 rpms I get into usable boost, see that I waited much less time to get the usable boost. equating to more power faster and yadda yadda, now since I have a boost controller on there for a max system pressure of 16 psi it will just bleed the rest of it off. the important thing is that it got there faster.

Evolution motorsports makes a 7" pulley for the actual mercedes it came off of so I know my max pulley size is 7" safely, the guy in holland used a 200mm pulley (loony guy). he got his boost much faster and everything else. he told me to go find one off a car somewhere because making one was a pain in the ass, he sold his corrado and is now putting it on an opel.

I must emphazise to other readers that YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS TO A G LADER you will more than likely blow it up if you are using a modified pulley.

soooo yeah I need that I.D. and distance from base of pulley to end of pulley (height of pulley if you laid it on the floor) just if anyone has one laying around.

*cough cough darrin cough cough...* :lol:

oh and to add, I can tighten the bolts on the car if the supercharger is warm and it wont sieze when it gets cold.

just thought I would add that tidbit.

yeah I used to run a passat pulley on my glader and my lysholm and it did seem to make a diffrence, I used to manage 15psi on my glader and my mate the same on his fully ported lader we never could understand why until we noticed I was running the bigger crank pulley so yes I guess it is a worthy edition, still have it if anyone is interested.

Be aware PotatoNet once these lysholm start seizing only bad things happen, please make extra sure that the chassis is not flexing at all as it aint good whne the break.

sam did yours sieze?

my system is a bit different than yours but I understand why you are saying that.

when my S/C siezed the first time it just stopped the engine. Still all that force was going to the internals of the charger.

and how much bigger is the pulley than a standard corrado pulley?

Hi Matey yeah it seized several times and I did rebuild it but after the third tim it was never the same, in the end the two blades fused together into a molten mess, I was running silly pulley sizes 50mm and the bigger bottom crank (3mm bigger than standard so I guess that is one of the reasons) the unit used to get so hot, but also a lot of this trouble happened after the sliencing kit which added a lot of weight to the back end. what ever the reason one thing is for sure any flex in the case is a very bad thing on these chargers. so just take care.

gone 20v now and despite all the (everyones done that comments I get its the best thing I ever did) although I do miss the agressiveness and noise the lysholm used to make especially on full tilt. maybe one day I i'll get another lysholmed car but I do feel that it should be very well supported. have you ever looked at the way Peter Tong mounts his units, a bracket supports the whole length of the unit so that it cannot flex, which seems a much better idea. anyhow hope you dont ahve any issues with yours.

what lag problems are you finding with the lysholm as I never had any issues, I know this is because the units differ and yours is a larger unit so obviously operates slightly differently.

yeah I have some small lag issues but I dont have the same heat problem that you guys have. my charger is geared in the front of the charger and the oil is sealed in there so there is really no heat where the lobes and rotor are. and everything inside the supercharger case has teflon layering on it to keep friction down. the actual supercharger is quite small only about 10 inches. It takes a second to spool up because it has to spin that massive clutch. I can change the clutch to a real pulley but thats no fun, it would eliminate the clutch and thats the whole reason why I put it on!

who is peter tong? Im from the US... my charger will probably end up being mounted on 4 sides to stop the siezing completely. I have it mounted on 3 sides right now, one sides just has 1 bolt (still helps) but Im 110% that the supercharger wont move right now and its not in siezing position, just hope I dont have to take it out.... how much HP were you running at 18 psi say? I dont want to spend 100 US to go get the car dynoed. plus I need a diff so...

anyway back to the pulley size thing. since you have the passat pulley can you tell me how tall it is laying on the ground flat and how large the inner diameter of the pulley is? or just post a picture...? I need measurements and can definitely not afford to buy it off you, rent sucks my money up.