Sign in to follow this  
Nick_Micouris

Should I get my VR resprayed - is it worth?

Since my C appeared on Top Gear all the way back in November '03, the bodywork has started to bear the brunt of London life and has the odd ding and very minor scrape in all sorts of wierd places (roof being one of them...) as well as the usual chips on the bonnet.

Anyway, I was thinking that I should get a full respray, but am not sure what to expect to pay at a decent bodyshop and to see if people thought it was worth doing on a car of my age.

The car still runs perfectly and has been really well maintained, but is now on 97k. If it was yours, would you get it restored to its original body condition? I have no plans to sell her, but just wanted to see what people thought.

Also, when doing a full respray,is it advisable to order new side rubbing strips, window seals and roof runners etc?

Thanks in advance! :)

Your car will always be worth that bit more that any other comparible VR, Nick. Simply caus the fact it WAS the one on TG.

Don't let the age of the car sway you either way. If you want it looking tip top and you can afford it, go for it.

Thanks, Louie, I guess it would be worth it to me, I would like it to look as mint and as factory perfect as poss.

Any ideas what I should expect to pay for a full exterior respray? I was thinking that I should remove and refit all glass etc.

Hi Nick

I went for the full respray.

I had quote ranging from £1000 - £3000

I settle with a guy who normally does insurance jobs and was willing to do the car between his other jobs for £1000 cash.

Only problem was it would take 4 weeks to complete.

It should have cost alot more but i stripped the car myself.

I took the whole interior out except the dash

I removed all the windows - front windscreen was helped out by my foot :) insurance repalced it :) had a big crack in it anyways. Just cut very carfully round the other windoes, they are all siliconed in.

Took out the sunroof and sunroof assembely.

Bumpers, grill basically everything except removing engine or wheels.

t_picture_001_104.jpg

t_picture_002_375.jpg

t_picture_003_753.jpg

Was a scary time but so glad i had gone to the effort.

Just give us a shout if you want any more advice.

Blimey! Well, I guess I will remove all of the bits too and see it it helps with the price. At least that way, I can't blame the sprayer for damaging the interior at all!!

What colour is yours? Mine is LA9V - the metallic black - looks like the same as yours, am I right?

Good plan by removing all the windows etc yourself to save a few bob.

If you want a good job they need to come out anyway or youll get the edges where the paint has been masked.

As for price id be prepared to part with at least £1000 and up to £1500 depending on where its headed.

If it were me id do a lot of research to find a really good paint shop, you only want to get it done once at the end of the day!!

Does anyone know of any really good bodyshops in either the Cambridge or Essex area?

Anything I should specifically look for in what type of paint they should be using or anything?

I know that P+H Coachworks in Saffron Walden are very good, but also rather expensive.

Not hugely close to Cambridge tho - I'm sure there's a decent place closer.