Sign in to follow this  
herisites

VR6 Camber

Hi all,

I put my car in the garage yesterday to get the wheels aligned after fitting my coilovers and i asked if they could adjust my camber on the back a bit to help with the catching tyres. I picked it up this morning and apparently they cant adjust the rear but the fronts they could. Is this true?

Has anyone else with a vr had their rear camber adjusted or is it just the other models that can be done? Furk'z for example - massive camber :lol:

Rob.

Furks is on stock rear camber.. i have used some Camber shims on the back of mine as this is the only way, Vag can supply 1*degree shims if needed

Yes he mentioned using shims. So you can get the shims that set the camber and just put them on? He was telling me about having to experiment with shims meaning taking it apart and putting it back a few times etc.

Sorry if i sound like i know nothing at all but that is the case :lol:

I don't think you have much option with camber as you could end up rubbing the coilover springs instead. Maybe pulling the arches the only solution?

Yeah looks like it :( Do they have to be resprayed when pulled or is there a way of pulling them out a tad without having to respray etc??

I'd be tempted to just change the wheels for something that fits, if you are chopping into the arch & stuff i'd be getting ready for some rusty arches in the next year !!

Jimmi.....

I reseal the arches after i grind them so it shouldnt rust. Lots of people have grinded them and resealed them i believe so i should be ok.

Get it done professionally or they definitely will rust.

The rear arches are double skinned and shouldn't really be messed with unless you know what you're doing imo.

Yep, i know what im doing and i know they will rust ! I can explain exactly how if you like.

I know all about corrado arches at the minute, ive spent 4 hrs making a rear arch from scratch for an early corrado im restoring at the minute.

Jimmi............

As kev said the rear arch has an inner and outer skin, inbetween the 2 skins is a jointing membrane. The two skins are spot welded together around the arch which along with the membrane seal the arch up.

When you chop into the arch you will break the seal letting water & salt into the arch leading to the inevitable.

The best thing you can do to reseal it is firstly make sure its clean and dry on the arch then buy some 2k stickerflex (like a really sticky silicone sealant but specially for automotive use) and completely seal the inner arch you should be okay with that, however with your wide wheels catching over bumps all you do is rub the sealant off so unless you reseal them than wait for it to dry you are gonna be running about with bare metal arches !!

Good luck !

Jimmi........

Ok thanks for that mate its very helpful! Well im hoping to stop the wheels rubbing at some point so if i reseal them i shouldnt rub it off :lol: I think the best bet is to get the arches pulled. I know wide wheels aren't sensible but i just love the look so much i will do what it takes to keep them :lol:

You can also get special zinc primers that let you spray the bare metal to protect it, but also allows you to weld the metal afterwards without burning the primer away, it's trick stuff, but not cheap. If you can't find Jimmi's underseal recommendation, get some 'Greystripe' from a bodyshop supplier (or halfords) which is exactly the same rubberised underseal they use at the factory.

As with all metalwork exposed to the elements, protection against rust is 90% down to preperation, preperation, preperation!

But the easiest solution is to fit some wheels that fit the arches, LOL!! :lol:

Only kidding, I know you like them...... ;-)